twenty-two

-Louis-

When I arrived at Team X headquarters, I ran into the locker room and opened my locker, ripping my clothes off and slipping on the blue suit. Just as I went to slip my mask on, I heard footsteps echo throughout the area. I turned around and found Liam walking towards me. "Hey, what's going on? You ran in here like you're on a mission." He said, before looking at me from head to toe. "I haven't given you a contract, or job to do. Why are you in your suit?"

I stared at him, anger in my veins and Niall's voice echoing in my head. I took a deep breath, looking down at my mask. "Niall has Athena." I told him, my voice low and small. "I need to save her. I have less than three hours."

"Dammit." Liam cursed, running his fingers through his hair. "I'm going with you. I'll get my suit on and ask Harry and Josie to join us." He added, before starting to run out the door. I grabbed his wrist, causing him to look at me.

"You told me to never fall in love with a contract, but I couldn't stop myself."

"I never expected you to. I had no right to tell you that rule. Hell, I broke it myself a few years ago." I looked at him in confusion, letting go of his wrist, and watching him straighten himself together. "Harry was a contract of mine. He had killed someone and I was sent to stop him, but I couldn't. I let him escape and grew too attached and now I don't regret it for a moment. He is the best thing to happen to me."

Knowing that Liam was like me in someways made me feel a little better. He broke the rules to be with the one he loved, just like I was breaking them.

I patted Liam on the shoulder and gave him a small smile, before allowing him to leave and do what he had to. I walked towards the wall of lockers and looked into mine, my normal clothes lying messily on the bottom.

I had no idea what Niall was doing to Athena. I didn't know if he was hurting her, or if he was using her as bait to lure me in. And if that was the case, I'd do anything to save her.

Thirty minutes went by before I collected myself and walked out of the locker room, only to find Liam in a grey suit, Harry in crimson, and Josie in purple. I nodded at each of them, holding my mask tightly in my hands. "You guys really don't have to come."

"Excuse me, this is my sister he has. Of course I'm coming with." Josie said, giving me stern look. "It feels weird to be in this suit after so many years." She added, looking down at her suit and sighing.

"We got your back, Louis. We aren't going to let you go alone." Liam told me. I stepped back and watched Liam and Josie put on their masks, as Harry stuck his left hand out in front of him and sighed, before a burst of fire shot up from his palm. Liam smiled at his boyfriend, placing a hand on his shoulder and keeping it there.

"Still works." Harry smiled, before putting his mask on, as well. I looked at the three fighters in front of me and wondered if even they knew what they were getting into. Someone of us could get hurt, some of us could die. And if that happened, I would be to blame.

I looked down at the blue mask in my hands, before placing it on my face and narrowing my eyes. "Let's do this."

<>·<>·<>·<>·<>·<>·<>·<>

-Athena-

My hands were sore and my arms ached. My head was pounding and my throat was incredibly dry. My body was shaking, the cold January air filling the room I was in. I didn't know where I was. I don't even remember how I got here.

I looked around the room and noticed the walls were peeling. I looked up at the ceiling and saw that it had holes and pieces missing. It was incredibly dusty and smelt of mold. It seemed like I was in an abandoned warehouse.

That's when I realized I was in Team X's first headquarters.

I wiggled in the chair, trying to break out of the bondage around my wrist and feet, only to fail. I mumbled a string of curse words under my breath, before wiggling a little more, only to fall sideways and hit the floor hard with a thud.

"Trying to escape?" I heard Niall say, before he shook his head in fake disappointment. "Why would you want to do a thing like that, dearie?"

"Don't call me that." I snapped, my head hurting even more. He chuckled, before reaching his left hand out towards me and lifting me off the ground and setting me down harshly. "Why are you doing this?" I said, pain evident in my voice. He smirked at me, walking towards me slowly.

"Because your father ruined my life."

"What does kidnapping me have to do with my dad?!" I yelled, only to have electricity shot at me. I groaned, hanging my head and breathing hard. "I have nothing to do with this, Niall."

"Oh, but you do dearie." He said, bouncing on the balls of his feet after he walked towards me. "You see, your father was my mentor when I first joined the Team. Though he didn't like it, or me for that matter, he had to."

"Cut the shit, Niall." I snapped, before more electricity was shot at me. I hunched over in pain, as Niall grabbed my chin and forced me to look at him.

"I'd watch what you say to me, love." He hissed, before letting me go. "Long story short: He left me to die in Rome. He left without warning and I was beat up and robbed of everything. I was abandoned and betrayed and I wanted revenge. So, I escaped Rome and created Team Z in hopes of destroying Logan. But he disappeared."

"My dad is an asshole, everyone know this, Niall." I said softly, my dry throat making it hard to speak.

"You showed up in 2012 and I knew exactly who you were. He would tell me that about you quite a bit and I was able to learn about the infamous Athena Bolton. So, I convinced you to join my Team and had you do all my dirty work for me." He continued, as he got closer to my face, the smell of his cologne filling my senses. "You didn't actually think all those contracts were yours, right?"

I glared at him, my blood boiling in my veins. He ruined me. My reputation and my mindset were altered because of him. I wanted to kill him. I wanted to drive my claws into his stomach and slice him up. I wanted him dead. I tried breaking the bondage around my wrists, but it wouldn't budge. He laughed my struggle, only making me force my claws out.

Except nothing came out and all I experienced was terrible pain.

I yelled in pain, as Niall laughed at me in amusement; in pleasure. Tears ran down my face, as he grabbed my chin and forced me to look at him. My vision was blurry from the tears, but I could still see him. I couldn't unsee him. His face was burned in my mind.

"Awe, little Bolt is crying." He said, putting a fake pout on his face. "Grow the f*** up, Athena."

"What did you do to me?!" I sobbed angrily.

"After you stabbed me with those damn scissors, I had to make sure you wouldn't attack me again. So, I had you... declawed." He smirked, before he stood up straight and looked over his shoulder. I kept my head down, angry at myself for getting myself in this situation in the first place. "Looks like we have company, dearie." I heard him say, before he grabbed a roll of duct tape and taped my mouth shut. "Don't make a noise. I have some business to take care of." I glared up at him, as he walked out of the room and shutting the door tight and locking it.

I tried telling for Louis, but with my dry throat and the duct tape, no sound came out. Niall was going to kill him and I wouldn't be able to live with myself. And as weak as this sounds, I needed him. Not only right now, but throughout my life.

________________________________

Guys, only a few more chapters left. I feel like crying. This is my baby. Oh my God.

Would you consider this a double update? I mean, I update twice this week. So..

FIGHTING STARTS NEXT.

I'm currently in school (11:22am) and I'm not supposed to be on my phone. Oops.

I love you all.

Logan, xxx