twenty-three

-Louis-

"Why would Niall take her into the old Team X headquarters?" Josie whispered, as the four of us hid against the wall of the building. I shrugged, looking over at Liam and waiting for some sort of explanation. "This place has been abandoned for almost twenty years. There's nothing exciting inside."

"I don't know why he would bring her here. This place is older than he is." Harry brought up, looking around the area and checking to see if anyone was around.

"I don't care what the reasons are, I'm going in there and getting her back." I said, before walking into the headquarters slowly, my heart beating incredibly fast. I wanted to call out her name, but I restrained. I would be jeopardizing not only my safety, but hers.

"How many rooms are there down that hallway?" Josie asked.

Liam walked ahead of me and looked down the hallway, his eyes narrowed in concentration. "I reckon about fifteen."

"Alright," I began, looking the three people around me. "Let's think logically. Athena is in one of these rooms, and if so, all these doors should be unlocked except for one."

"But wouldn't that be a trap? Niall could do that just to lure you in." Josie told me, as I shook my head, refusing to even listen.

"If that's the case, he can have me. I'd rather die than not let Athena come out alive. She needs to live; she has to." I replied, looking at everyone directly. I swallowed the lump in my throat, before walking down the hallway, beginning my search for Athena. She had to be here. "Liam, try and pick up her thoughts." I instructed, him nodding his had in understanding.

We looked in each unlocked room throughly. From the closets to the secret portals in the walls, we came out empty handed. My senses were killing me by the time we reached the last room. My brain was aching from my sinuses and it was becoming harder to look at my surroundings. "She's in there. I can hear her."

Harry twisted the door knob multiple times, the door not budging open. I looked at Liam and Josie, my heart starting to race. Athena was behind the door. But was she alive? Was she okay?

"Open the door." I said, sternly looking at the old wooden door in front of me. Liam looked at me in confusion, which made me angry. "The door is locked and you can unlock it. Now f***ing unlock it." I snapped quietly. Liam stared at me for a little longer, before staring at the door knob, trying to unlock it from the inside.

He grunted, before breathing heavily and bending forward and placing his hands on his knees. I looked at him for an explanation, as he shook his head and took a deep breath. "I can't do it. It's not-" He stopped mid-sentence, his eyes widening slowly as he looked at the door. I grabbed his shoulder and turned him to face me completely. "I can't hear her anymore, Louis."

I let go of Liam and looked around the room quickly for something to break the door down and came up empty handed. I wiggled the doorknob quickly and hard, hoping to break the knob off, only to realize that wasn't working. It wasn't until after that attempt that I realized what I had to do.

Kick the door down.

"Everyone back away." I warned, as the parted away and I backed up, leaning my body towards the door for a moment. I closed my eyes and silently prayed that this would work. I opened my eyes, before heaving my right leg towards the door with all the strength I could muster, as the sound of cracking wood echoed the hallway. I gave it one last kick, before I watched it tumble to the ground and allowing dust to float around.

"Harry, go check her pulse." Josie told him, pushing him forward into the room. Harry cleared his throat and walked behind her, pressing two fingers to her neck. I walked in and carefully pulled the silver duct tape off her face, gentle not to hurt her with it. I scanned her face, tear stains evident on her cheeks. She had a few small cuts scattered on her face and her lips were chapped.