twenty-five

Comment as much as you want. This is the last chapter! Let's go out with a bang. Picture above/side is Josie, Athena, and Logan.
________________________________

-Athena-

The constant beeping of the heart monitor reminded me Louis was alive and recovering. The paramedics were able to revive him a minute, or two after they left the building. They had rushed him to the operation room the moment they arrived at the hospital and they removed all the splinters and fixed his ribs and gave him more blood, since he had lost so much.

It had only been a few hours since we were at the building. I was sat in a chair beside Louis' bed, my head resting on the chair and by eyes fixated on Louis. I was told to let the doctors examine my body for broken bones and other injuries, but I refused. Josie tried to get me to go home and sleep, but, yet again, I refused.

My dad was still in town. He took Josie out to eat, since I didn't want to go with them. I didn't want to leave Louis. So, they were going to bring me food, which I most likely won't eat.

I've never been attached to someone before. Growing up, I was never one to hang around my mother all the time. I always found myself in my room either reading, or outside taking pictures. I don't know what made Louis so different from everyone else in my family.

"Athena?" I heard, as I lifted my head and looked in the direction from which the sound came from. There stood my dad, a bag of food in his hands and Josie nowhere near him. "I brought you some food."

I wanted to tell him no, but he was acting civil. Something he rarely did. I sighed, offering him a small smile, as he walked in and placed the food on the stand next to the bed. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine." I mumbled, looking at Louis and pushing hair out of my face. "How did you know where to find us?"

"What?" He asked, pulling up another chair and sitting beside me.

"Who told you where we were?" I asked again, looking at my dad. He ran his hand over his face, sighing slowly, before clearing his throat.

"I had a friend back in the day who predicted this would happen. She told me to right down the date and what time it would happen and said I should be there. She didn't tell me what happen on that day, though," He explained, crossing his arms and leaning back in his chair. "So when I saw Horan attacking you and Josie, I was furious. I'm actually glad that bastard is dead."

"You actually do care." I said, maybe a bit too loud. He looked at me with a hurt expression, which instantly made me feel bad.

"I know I haven't been the best father. I know I wasn't there when you needed me when you were growing up and I should've been. But you must understand why I was gone all those years."

"Work, right?" I questioned, has he nodded his head.

"I had to keep your mom and you and Josie safe. There were people who wanted to kill you all when you were growing up and I had to stop that from happening. I couldn't lose you guys, especially you and your sister. You two are my entire world. The day you two were born changed me. I wasn't as aggressive as I usually was and you both had me wrapped around your little fingers."

I smiled at him, before standing up and reaching my hand out towards him. He looked up at me and cautiously took my hand, as I pulled him to his feet and hugged him. It took him by surprise, before he relaxed and hugged me back.

It was nice to have this little moment with my dad. It amazed me how in the matter of a month, my whole prospective of him changed. I no longer hated him has much as I used to, but I didn't exactly love him yet. But it was getting there.