Chapter Seven

Edited: 8/15/21

We were just kids...

You tried to remind yourself of the fact. Even though your heart continued to flutter.
This damn ring.

It has to be the ring.

You would not let them take her, they can't have any of them!

***
Leif laid across your lumpy mattress, making it creak every time he threw a stone up and caught it again.

You sat at your work bench very carefully placing the metal around the band of the ring. You were thankful you had mastered the art of tuning Leif out, especially when he made obnoxious noises. Even so, the more he threw it the more she noticed.

"Would you just hush already?" You snapped at him as the Leif threw the rock up for the three hundredth and ninety fifth time.

"You know you love me." He had his typical shit eating grin plastered across his face. He always smiled like this when he managed to annoy you enough to look away from your inventions.

"I don't love that fucking rock, now shut up!" You grumbled as you picked up the piece again with your rusty tweezers.

The wind picked up quickly as you dropped it again as the camp leader pushed her tent door open.

"What are you doing in here?" He asked coldly, his eyes scanning the room and falling on Leif's tense form. He scowled at the sight of him.

Leif sat up instantly and stood next to you to cover what you were working on.

"Nothing sir, just coming back out soon to keep training. You know how us young folk are, can't keep our hands off each other." Leif winked as he blabbered nervously, wrapping his arm around your waist

Blabbering, is something he would learn to never do again in a dire situation.

"What's behind you girl?" The leader wasn't fooled in the slightest.

"You better not touch me or may I remind you who my father is?" You snapped as the man grew too close.

"Dear girl. Do you really think your father gives a rats ass about you? He sent you here to rid the palace of you. No one wants a female heir after all." He grinned from ear to ear.

"N-No one is supposed to know that-" your voice was alarmed. The truth of why you were the one who had to go began flooding your mind and your breathing began to quicken, signaling to Leif that you were incredibly nervous.

"Ah yes well the secret was hidden well through lies for a long time. Now why don't you step away dear and show me what you're working on!" He slammed the two of you to the side with much ease.

His eyes rested on the ring.

"Ah." Was the only sound that escaped him as he twirled the ring around his finger.

"Please-"

"Don't you know how magic conservation is supposed to work?" He questioned you, tauntingly spinning it around his finger, letting it slip before catching it again.

"Yes of course—everyone does-"

"Killing the weaklings. Soldiers all around our world have gone to the Earth and taken the strongest men. They've made a chase out of it, releasing them into the forests of Guilda and rewarding the victor." He looked at her with a wide smirk.

"Do you know how they win girl?"

You squinted your eyes tightly as if you were waiting for a physical impact.

"Slicing the throats of humans." He came close to your face and whispered sharply.

"That is what you all are here to learn to do. We need to figure out how to get that dammed rift to open again. That's how we get our magic, not these idiotic trinkets."

He dropped your ring to the floor and crushed it with his boot. The colored magic from the crystal seeped around him and he sucked it in deep.

"Makes a good high though." He smirked wickedly and left the tent.

You walked over to your broken creation and fell to the floor besides it.

"Y/n-"

"Months. Months of work, all for nothing." You cried softly as you picked up pieces of the shattered crystal, now clear, lacking magic.

"Not for nothing,"  He placed a hand on the small of your back, "Now you know that you can make something retain magic." He picked up the half of the band still in tact, as he spoke with a hope for the future that he never felt before he met you.

"All you need to do now starship, is find what holds the most magic. Other, than humans of course." He winked at you, and it lacked all of the viciousness that was laced in the eyes of your leader.

You fell against him and he held you as he cried, unknowingly to you. Never again would he allow this to happen.

~~
"It's hard to believe you're related to that devil." Ava whined as she spun around in your chair as you scribbled notes down about your progress.

"Daemos, Ava, calling us devils is just offensive." You teased as you finished filling in your research and placing your journal back on the high shelf.

"So what's with that snowball?"

You rose your eyebrow at her, "Snowball? Ava, dear, you do know it is 102 degrees outside right?" You snorted teasingly and she rolled her eyes.

"You know very well that I'm talking about that white-haired fox. Leif, right?" She asked as she tried to remember if that was his name or not. She had seemed pretty preoccupied in trying to forget the males were in her house, so you weren't surprised that she wasn't amazing with remembering their names.

"I knew him a long time ago, nothing else about him is relevant." You tried to shut down her attempt at conversation.

"N/N, boys don't just give piny looks to any girl. There's something more to the two of you! Why won't you tell me?" Ava whined.

"It's a story long forgotten with the wind."

"You aren't making any sort of sense, and talking like that makes you sound hella lame." She spoke blandly while pointing at you.

"Just drop it would you!" Your heart was pounding uncontrollably out of my chest and you could barely stand with how hot your face was growing.

There was the sparkle in his eyes, just like the ones you grandmother told stories about...

You do not believe in soulmates.

Never have.

Never will.

Leif will not change that.