Chapter Seventeen

"The official statement went up." Leif whispered as he sat near to the edge of the cell, listening to the guards speak.

It had been hours and you all had yet to come up with a solid plan to escape.

"Public execution. It's going to be a large gathering now that the missing princess has returned." Leif commented and you nodded with a groan.

"They're probably going to stone me." You murmured.

"How are you saying that so casually!?" Ava exclaimed with a horrified look sprawled across her face.

"Wouldn't be the first time in history they've done it." You shrugged and Leif nodded.

"You got that right."

"You people are sickos!" She cringed and you both nodded in agreement.

"Why do you think I stayed on Earth so long?" You snorted as you began kicking the bars, earning an urgent shush from Leif and yelling from the guards.

"Damn I would just use my magic and burn these things but they are blocking my magic." You groaned and laid on the ground with your legs leaned up against the wall.

You were so done with everything. You felt like a complete failure but you masked that pain with a twisted sense of humor. "I find it quite amusing that my brother sentenced me to death the first time he saw me in over ten human moon cycles, and the first time my father will see me is when I'm being executed. Here I was thinking Asch was the fucked up sibling!" You snorted as you ranted which made you receive worried glances from your loved ones.

"Y/n, starship," Leif spoke nervously but was ultimately interrupted by Ava.

"Don't you give up on me Y/n." You sat up as she spoke and you immediately felt a sharp sting across your face.

"Ava!" Leif hissed. She had slapped you. Your head felt like it was spinning but you regained your sense of self and looked at her and smiled softly.

"Thank you..." you whispered pitifully and she nodded.

"Of course Y/-" you slapped her hard against the face.

"I appreciate it, but never hit me again." You closed your eyes and smiled mischievously at her. She made a comment along the lines of 'duly noted.'

"They're our last hope." You spoke softly as you remembered the rest of your group who was searching the continent for Ava.

"Maybe once they noticed we didn't regroup they'll come searching." Leif added and you nodded with a hopeful glint in your eyes.

"Like I said, they're our only hope."

"Are we really going to die?" Ava asked softly with a cracking voice.

"Not if we can help it." Leif reassured her, but you sat there with a horrible feeling in the pit of your stomach.

**
The morning came quicker than you all thought it would. Ava was especially surprised due to the fact that she had spent the previous nights here restless. The cycle from day to night on Daemos was ten times faster. You had been so accustomed to Earth that you didn't sleep a wink.

Ava slept for a few hours throughout the night, leaving you in Leif's arms the entire time you had the moment alone.

The two of you were terrified that this was the last night you would have together. After all those years apart you would be taken from this life just as you found the love again.

The night was spent mostly in silence as you felt yourself begin to mourn the time you had thrown away for your mission. Tears were shed and kisses were shared, but it was nothing more nor nothing less.

When the guards came that morning they had to pry you away from each other, desperate for one last touch and one last kiss.

Asch, Rhys, Noi, and Pierce had to come through.

They had to save you and give you another chance to love Leif for all that you were.

You couldn't bare anything else.

They brought the three of you into the center of the town. Citizens were crowding around a large platform with three wooden poles. You gulped, realizing that this was a new form of death that you hadn't seen as a child.

The three of you were chained to the poles and you wondered if you really were going to get stoned.

The path soon cleared and your father approached the stage. The entire crowd fell into a deep silence when he entered the area, fearful that your fate would soon be their own if they made a single sound.

"Leif- I love you! I promise you I always did! Please know this in case- in case we don't get out of this one!" You cried as you looked at the male who was chained so tightly to the binding pole behind him.

"I always loved you starship, to the moon and back and every other cliche out there. My heart is and always will be yours." He winked at you, but was really blinking away the forming tears he got from seeing you so emotional.

Ava watched the heartfelt interaction between you and your love and felt her heart break for you. Through the end she was so awful to you and pinned so much blame to you, when you threw away a chance at a beautiful life to save a world that would've never accepted the real you. How could it when Ava, your own sister didn't even accept you for your past? She hated herself for every horrible thing she said to you.

"Y/n." She spoke desperately and your head shot to your other side to look at her.

"I love you so much and I'm so sorry for everything I said! I didn't mean it I promise." Ava cried and her entire body shook hard against the tight chains that pressed into her body.

"I love you too, sis." You flashed her a lopsided smile. All of the heartfelt final moments were ended as soon as your father's boot slammed loudly into the platform you stood on.

You began to shake more than you had that entire day. His servants placed buckets around the edge of the platform and you realized he was making them do it. That crazy bastard-

"Today we have three individuals who have betrayed Daemos." Your father spoke to the hushed crowed. His hand motioned to Ava, "A mere human, who posed as a Daemos in my own castle. Her soul will be fed to the magic crisis." As he spoke you searched desperately for your grandmother amongst the crowd, but failed to find her.

Your father approached Leif and placed a hard hand on his head, shoving it down as hard as he could. You shrieked in protest when you saw him do this, but he ignored your presence completely.

"This male is apart of my son's royal knights. He stole the last soul to travel to Earth, and killed my son there without bringing back any more sources to Daemos." Killed Asch? You wondered who fed him that lie.

"I didn't kill that spoiled brat." Leif defended himself, earning a kick in the side by a guard's steel toe boot.

"Finally." His voice was sharp, "We have my own child. Y/n, the former princess of Daemos. She was assigned a mission as a late teen to go to Earth and bring back magic sources. Not only did she fail her mission but she stayed on Earth and continuously replenished her magic- being fully capable of using it now!" He screamed and every screamed horrible things to you.

You winced but stayed silent all the same.

"In front of you are stones. I would like you to teach these outcasts what happens to those who betray Daemos." The king spoke and stepped to the side with Rhal and Bish.

The crowd was hesitant at first, but a male in the front grabbed a rock and chucked it at your face. Leif and Ava screamed in horror. "That's for leaving us for those humans!" The male screamed and a few began yelling with him.

There was a loud, explosion like sound in the back of the crowd. Everyone who had picked up a rock to throw dropped it to identify the foreign noise.

There were loud screams, but Asch was suddenly before you. "Throw another damn rock at any of them and I'll blast you all to hell."