Chapter Fifteen

"Okay here's the plan."

You and Leif dashed through the forest, completely silent. You were careful to make sure there was no one near your before you allowed yourself to be out in the open.

"We'll split up into teams."

Leif suddenly pulled your arm and made sure the two of you were out of sight. Leif's back was pressed tightly against the base of the tree, and your back was pressed against his torso. You nodded to him as if you were saying, "good catch."

"Is it a good idea to split off into teams Rhys?" Leif asked questioningly.

Rhys simply nodded, "I'm afraid it's the only way to get it done quickly." He sighed and looked at you, "Y/n I know this may be scary, but I would like you and Leif to go towards the castle to look for her."

The two of you decided the coast was clear before you swiftly began teleporting to the beginning of the forest, leaving you simply miles away from the castle. You stood behind another large tree and allowed Leif to scan the area for any unwanted potential confrontations.

"You and Leif have assassin training, you would be most fitted to go." Rhys reiterated and you both nodded, understand what fate your training left you with.

"There's no way in hell she's going to the castle! If they see her she'll be killed, no questions asked!" Asch retaliated and you simply shook your head and smiled softly.

"Anything for family. Even if I have to give my life to save her, I'll do it."

As you ran, Leif looked at you with sad eyes. You looked more determined than you ever had, all the years he has known you. This was saying something because you were always so dedicated and determined when it came to your work.

"Y/n, you're so brave!" Noi exclaimed and you shook your head feeling absolutely ashamed of yourself.

"It's my fault we're even in this mess in the first place. If I had just been a true Daemos...I wouldn't be wanted for dead and Ava wouldn't be in so much trouble." Your voice was shaky as you fought off a sob.

Leif understood why you felt so guilty, but nobody who loved you blamed you. It was hard for her brother to understand her, he knew that. They were all tasked in such a murderous society that it was just second nature to everyone. He still didn't know to this day where you got such a caring, human like heart from.

"Y/n, no one blames you." Pierce suddenly spoke up, which made your head shoot to the side to look at the male with wide eyes.

"He's right sis, would everyone have had an easier time if you had just brought back humans to kill...yes," Asch spoke and you looked down at your feet, feeling shameful once more, "But that doesn't mean that it would've been right." You looked up at your brother with tears welling in your eyes.

"Thank you, brother."

You pointed up towards a tall tree, signaling to Leif that you wanted to climb it to scout. You preferred to check the surrounding areas for Ava before revealing yourself to the public or the castle staff.

"We can do this, we are going to save her." You spoke with your determined spirit echoing in your voice.

Everyone put their hands in together and Noi nodded, "We have no other choice."

Everyone felt guilty for what happened to Ava. They had all lied to her, even if yours was the longest. They were determined to save her no matter what, and when the two of you saw she was no where to be seen in the surrounding areas of the castle, you swallowed your fear and prepared to go inside.

"Y/n," his voice was a whisper, "look at me."

You raised your eyes and you felt a soft pair of lips meet yours. You couldn't even begin to wonder why he thought this was the right time, but you didn't have to wonder long. The kiss was short and sweet and he looked back at you with strong and serious eyes.

"In case we don't get out of this alive..." he explained himself simply, "I don't want to die with any regrets."

"Check one off my list too then," You smiled softly and when Leif turned to jump down from the tree you grabbed his wrist, "But I promise you Leif, we'll have plenty more. No more wasted time, I promise." You reiterated.

The two of you understood how dangerous the situation was, but his smile had never been wider.

"If I'm remembering correctly, there's an unguarded hatch door at the very top of the palace." You spoke to Leif as you slowly exited the forest and walked onto the street.

The two of you stole rags to wear to shield Leif's armor, and your human clothes. "Why do you have an unguarded door?" Leif asked in quiet shock.

You shrugged. "It's covered with vines and other shit, no one would think to look there," You glanced up at Leif, who didn't look to convinced, "You'll see."

The two of you found your way to the palace, and quickly teleported to the top. "I've never teleported that far before." You gasped and Leif nodded in agreement.

You looked around, muttering to yourself anxiously. "There it is!" You whisper-exclaimed as you tore off the vines that had grown over in all the years since you had gone through it.

"There really is...an unguarded palace door." Leif spoke and you face palmed.

"Come on idiot." You hissed as you opened the door, hoping your brash language would knock him out of his phased look.

The two of you slipped inside and you were left in an old cellar filled with wine. "Damn bastard." You scoffed as you looked at the terribly expensive alcohol surrounding the two of you. You hated your father for spending more money on these drinks, rather than using it for war preparation and a solution to the crisis.

The door slid open and the two of you clung together in fear of death. Standing before you all was Ava, dressed in an outfit that reminded you of Jasmine from Aladdin when she was enslaved by Jafar.

Your heart shattered at the sight. Ava held a tray with two glasses, and her hair was in a tight ponytail revealing her purple horns.

"Oh, Ava-" you choked out and reached for her, but she stepped away from you almost instantly.

"How did you get here?" She asked. The moon had already cycled twice since you all had been forced back to Daemos.

"Magic baby." Leif winked and you stepped on his foot, leaving him hissing and whining.

"Ava- oh Ava I'm so sorry! I promise I will explain everything but I have to get you out of here before this gets worse." You motioned your hand towards her and her outfit.

"You don't know what I've gone through in such a short time Y/n, so stop fucking acting like it." She hissed out through clenched teeth. You ignored the pain stabbing into your chest with her every word and you shook your head.

"You're right Ava, it's been so long since I've been tortured by these people," her eyes widened at your choice of words, "but I remember them forcing frail women into servitude. It only gets worse and my brother, Rhal, is the nastiest of them all." You warned and she nodded.

"Oh I know Rhal." Her voice darkened. She was at war with herself, you could tell by the look in your eyes. It was the same look both you and Leif held for months now.

"Ava, please just come with us." Leif spoke in a begging tone. It was one you had never heard directed towards anyone other than you.

You smiled softly. He hated his actions and his lying. He wanted to repent, just like you and the others.

Ava was surprised by his tone as well. She was just about to speak before the door was slammed back open.

"What the hell is going on in here servant?"

"Oh shit-"