The rookie

The rookie had been here for about a day now and things were going wrong.

A girl named Beth had come to my attention as very uptight and did not like Change whatsoever. She absolutely dispised the rookie. They had gotten into multiple fights and were constantly arguing.

To be fare Newbie was a little bit problematic. Not that I didn't like her. She seemed alright. She wasn't my responsibility though so I didn't need to worry about keeping her out of the maze.

Apparently she almost ran into the maze the moment she got here. Luckily someone tackles her to the ground before she could get too far and she spent the night in the cells.

The cells were little cells (noooo what! Really?!) that we put people in when they were "dangerous" or as a punishment. I had been put in there for almost a whole day but that was because Harriet locked me in there as a joke and forgot to let me out.

I was interrupted out of my thoughts by Harriet standing up to put her plate away. We had just finished our dinner.

"You seem kinda out of it today." Sonya said looking at me concerned.

"Yeah I'm just tired," I said rubbing my eyes. It's true I hardly got any sleep last night. I'm not sure why. I just had a bad feeling in my gut.

Suddenly we heard shouting coming from outside. I stood up and went outside to check everything out.

When I got outside I saw people crowding around the glen walls. I jogged over and asked a few people what was going on.

Apparently ally and Mary (two of the runners) hadn't come back yet and the doors were closing soon.

"Can we help them?" I asked.

"We can't risk losing anyone else," Sonya said putting a hand on my shoulder. This would have given me butterflies if we weren't in this particular situation.

I realized the seriousness of what she said and all thoughts of going in there to help them vanished.

The rookie on the other hand was not so quick to shut up.

"Somebodies get to help them!" She said.

"They could be dead for all we know. We can't go in there." Said Beth.

"There they are!" Someone shouted.

I see Mary limping over to us. I'm not sure where Amy is.

In front of me I see the rookie flinch. I can tell that she was holding herself back from going and helping her. I grabbed her arm just in case she wanted to run.

She looked at me for only a moment before directing her attention back at Mary.

The doors started rumbling.

People shouted louder and louder and my grip on the girl tightened. We all knew she wouldn't make it at the pace she was going at.

Suddenly the rookie started pulling and I held firm to her. But she grabbed my arm and dragged me into the maze with her.

"SONYA!" I yelled reaching back.

I tried letting go and running back but I knew it was too late and I would be crushed.

The walls were closing in on us and I was squeezing through. only a few feet to the other end.

"Y/N!!!" Sonya yelled and I got one last look at her before getting to the other end and the doors crushing closed.

What just happened.

I'm in the maze. That was the main rule of the glen! Don't go in the maze! I turned to look at the rookie.

"What the hell!" I yelled at her.

"I'm sorry I just wanted to help." She said looking down.

"You pulled me into the maze and now," I paused and flung my hands around for emphasis "were all dead!" I yelled. She looked at me and looked down guiltily again.

I huffed and helped her off the ground.

I walked over to where Mary was.

"Are you ok?" I asked her.

"Does it fucking look like I'm ok?!" She yelled

I sighed and knelt down and looked at her ankle. Definitely sprained. Not sure about broken though.

"We're all gonna die!" She said breathing heavily.

"It can't be that bad." Said the the other girl.

"I hope you can still run." I said to Mary ignoring the newbie.

"Why would we need to run?" The rookie asked. "We just wait here for the doors to open up,"

Both me and Mary scoffed.

"Nobody told you about the monsters yet have they?" Mary said swallowing hard.

"The what!?"

"The monsters in..." Mary explained. But I zoned out. I was thinking of a way to keep Mary safe. I knew she wouldn't be able to run in her state. I looked up at the vines and got an idea.

"We gotta tie you up there," I said and pointed at the wall.

"Huh!?" Mary said. "Nuh uh! If the monsters come i won't be able to get away from them." She said shaking her head.

"You won't be able to get away from them regardless with that ankle. Plus there's a chance they might not even see you." I said.

She gulped again but nodded her head.

The rookie was sorta still confused but realized that we would be running for our lives tonight.

What I was most worried about was getting lost. I thought maybe Mary had a map. I asked her and she handed me the notes she had made that day.

"Should be right." She said. On the next page she sketched what it should look like tomorrow from memory.

We began tying her up. she slowly got higher and higher and once she was well out of sight and secure in her spot we heard it.

Whirring and clicking and screeches coming near us.

"Be brave Mary. And don't move," I said as seriously as I could. she nodded and gave me a bit of a smile.

"Good luck." She said. We both knew that the chances of even one of us three making it out alive would be slim. Close to zero slim. But we have to try. I expect to see Sonya in the morning.

And Harriet I guess... Mostly Sonya though... Just kidding of course.

I smiled back at her and started jogging the opposite direction of the noises. The rookie following after me.

"Hope you're a good runner." I told her

"Sorry." She said. She probably felt guilty for putting me in this situation.

"Just focus on getting us outa here for now. I can beat you up about it later."

She chuckled at me and we began a long long night in the maze.