Aegrotus Homecoming

I don't remember arriving at the school -- I could have sworn I was still in the car. The last thing I could feel was clenching tightly onto the leather seat cushions in the back seat as Ervin continued to drive. I could see him looking back every once in a while in the rear view mirror before a headlight blurred my vision. 

Evan's blurry face covered my vision, placing his hand lightly on my hair. He stroked it while I looked around in confusion and fear. The lights from the outside were muddled and everywhere. My heart beat loudly in my chest as I resisted the urge to hyperventilate. 

The next thing I knew I was standing next to Evan. I couldn't even move my feet without the aid of Evan. Blinking my eyes, my fingers curled around the arm that was supporting me. The pulsing lights were dulled, and the music seemed flushed away. There were a few songs that I recognized if I listened closely. That is until, my awareness would disappear for a few seconds. Then a different part of the song would be playing, which would only further confuse and instill fear inside of my rapidly beating heart.

I didn't know where I was.

I...I was freaking out.

I steadied my breathing and did my best to stumble on my feet. My legs were numb and useless and I forgot how to walk. I didn't know if I ever really knew how. 

I breathed out shakily.

"Nat..." Ally's voice caused my eyes to focus in on hers. I didn't know she was standing in front of me, or even how long she was there. I blinked slowly and breathed. Time seemed to slow as I could hear my own breathing in my ears. "Natty Baby..."

This couldn't be good.

Her cold fingers were on my face. It was a welcome contrast from the overbearing hotness I was feeling. It was as though I were suffering a strange fever dream, except I wasn't sick. Ally had made me feel safe. I blinked again, trying to clear my washed over thoughts. I couldn't concentrate very long on something and I was scared that if I blinked again that she would be gone.

Ally -- Ally was in front of me-!

Was she real?

I tilted my head while trying to take a step towards her. I was too dizzy to walk and instead was yanked back by Evan. My heels clicked obnoxiously on the floor before I ended up back at his side. My head leaned against his arm, and I couldn't move it for a few seconds. 

I was confused again. That slight movement made me a little lost. I tried to lift my head, but Evan merely placed his hand against my head. I didn't know if his grip was strong or if I was just incredibly weak at the moment, but I strained to lift my head up to look at my best friend.

"My god..." Natalie's voice was quiet. It sounded far away and muffled against the loud music. I looked at the spinning room, seeing her figure oddly stiff. She looked really mad. She was wearing a black suit -- odd. 

She stood there, frigid, for a few more seconds. Her hands lowered to her sides and she clenched them tightly. I wanted to be with my friend, but I was trapped against Evan and unable to move. "Did you drug her?"

Evan responded with a smile as I looked up at him. It looked evil -- then again, he always looked evil.  My muddled vision made everything less focused and far away. It felt as though I was seeing everything through those alcohol impairment goggles, and I really didn't like it. 

"You're here with David, aren't you?" He quipped back, not missing a beat. Ally stared at him and then narrowed her eyes. "Go find him," he ordered. 

I felt my heart plummet into my stomach. 

No, I wanted her to stay! 

"You're very lucky that you've recovered enough to attend this dance," he continued before shrugging nonchalantly. He let out a sly smirk, and the instant I saw it I felt shivers run through my spine. "I expect that you'll be showing up to school come Monday?"