Profectus Report

It was a late Tuesday afternoon, and I had just been released from the quarterly accounting meeting. I hadn't even been aware of just how complex the finances were in this place, and didn't understand hardly anything when I was in there. 

I kept walking and was on the way to my office. 

I could see Algernon in the hallway in front of me – his face was blank as it usually always was. However, there seemed to be something off about the way he was walking.

"Why do you always look like you're keeping something from me?" I asked, passing Algernon in the hallway.

Algernon had stopped walking, coming from a lesser known location of the compound. I had the entire layout memorized in my mind, and so there wasn't anywhere that I didn't know about – I just didn't know why he was sneaking around --

The only place that was down there were some torture cells that barely anyone had used. It was a bit of a walk, and so I figured that was probably the reason. It seems that with the new change in management – me – the torture department has become incredibly lazy.

They still shower me with respect and loyalty, although they give me a little bit of sass if I assign them a room that is too far away from the main hub of corridors. Given the relaxed tone shift of the compound now, and the disbandment of the hierarchy completely, it was bound to have a more laid back work environment.

Algernon, though, never even went down there himself – he's complained about how he gets too many steps in his normal average day, and that anymore steps would only further aggravate him.

"What do you mean, Ms. Hunt?" Algernon spoke, once again in his monotone, emotionless voice.

I had learned to accept it over the past couple of weeks that I was transitioning to become the compound leader.

I raised an eyebrow, not believing that for a second. Even with that monotone voice of his, I was able to immediately lock on that something was amiss with the usually expressionless Algernon. Considering he was the only one in this entire place I trusted with my life, it hurt a little that he was hiding something from me – no matter how inconsequential it might have been.

"Really?" I placed my hands on my waist.

My stomach was starting to show with my pregnancy now. I was wearing a lot of extra-large shirts since I didn't have the time to order any maternity clothing myself. Along with my stomach extruding, I was beginning to have a sore back constantly. My feet didn't appreciate being used for long durations, but I couldn't help the constant need to check up on things --

There was just too much to be done if I wanted to reshape this place.

Algernon passively blinked, which caused me to frown.

"Yeah, that's not going to work. We've been through too much for you to keep secrets from me," I took a couple of steps towards him, while he remained standing where he was.

He blinked again, and I let out a long, dejected sigh, raising my index finger up at him.

"I swear, Algie-!"

"Ms. Hunt, I have the formal documents that you requested," came a voice to my left. I glanced to my left to see a man dressed in a black suit.

He was wearing an ear piece and had been one of my father's followers. He had sworn his undying allegiance to me since I was his daughter, and I was fine with it...but being the leader of an underground, borderline illegal organization was a lot of pressure for just one person to handle.