Taking Imperium Part 1

I lightly touched my neck – right where the implant was hiding, inconspicuously underneath my skin. There hadn't been any indication that it was there; there wasn't a bump or a slight raise of the skin. It was completely hidden from myself, if I hadn't been aware of it, as well as other that looked at me.

I wished that I could have the doctors and skilled surgeons at the compound pull it out, but Evan had always been three or four steps ahead of me...It needed a passcode for it to be disabled, otherwise the procedure to have it removed would kill me, according to the professionals at least. They hadn't wanted to take the chance to remove the unstable device and blow up their leader, which was understandable. 

They wouldn't continue with the operation until they completely deactivated the thing.

It seemed like Evan was still stewing in his victory over me --

"Natalie," came a voice from beyond the large, double wooden dark oak doors.

I was sitting in my office, at the large, luxurious desk that belonged previously to the Hale family. Slowly, I dropped my fingers down, them resting on the wireless keyboard that connected to four monitors in front of me.

"I have news of Brendon."

I nodded my head, although I knew that no one would be able to see it.

"Come in, Algernon," I raised my voice slightly, causing the door to open quietly. A man in a dark blue, navy suit entered with his arms behind his back. A man that I knew far too well and trusted with my life. He had become a close friend over these past years.

"Did he wake up?"

"He has..." Algernon hesitated, him shifting lightly on his feet.

I looked at him, hoping that there was good news regarding my old acquaintance.

"He is asking about Ally."

It had been six years since that night that Brendon had been shot.

I nodded once, tilting my head up to stare at the ceiling.

It made me...uncomfortable that he had forgotten exactly how Ally had died.

I had told him in gut wrenching detail the state of my best friend and ex-lover...the first time it had nearly killed me emotionally. I was better – stronger, than I was back then, but that didn't matter when talking an ill-fated consequence for someone you loved.

"Simply tell him that she is dead," I spoke, standing up from the expensive leather office chair.

It let out a small squeak in protest of any movement against it.

"He has an assignment to do," I took the manila folder that was among others in a black rack perched along the desk in front of me. There was a one week old French tip manicure on my nails, which I caught a small glance of as I picked up the work folder.

I walked over to Algernon, who placed his hands in front of him, accepting the file.

"Are you sure that you want to do this, Natalie?" Algernon questioned, raising his eyebrow in curiosity. I stared at him with a blank expression – he didn't want Brendon to be involved in the compound anymore, and frankly, neither did I. Although, I know that Brendon would be head strong in the fact that he wouldn't abandon me...even when I no longer needed his protection.

This was the best course of action and I was surprised that Algernon didn't see it that way.

"He helped stage the coup," Algernon uselessly informed me. "He is a valuable asset to the compound."