Chapter 4

Copyright © 2012 Nicole Mckoy 

It was the day of homecoming and I was actually excited about the dance. I knew I was going with Chad so everything was great. I hadn’t listened to Jake and broken things off with Chad. Jake so far hadn’t done anything so I figured he had been bluffing the whole time just to scare me. Jake was going to be a chaperone at the homecoming but I knew he wasn’t going to pull anything with a bunch of people around so I felt like tonight would be drama free.

After the whole car incident Chad’s parents had the police investigating everything that had happened. Chad also had to go and open his big mouth and tell his parents that he believed it was my ex boyfriend that did all those things to his car. Yeah it was obvious that Jake probably did those things, but we didn’t have any proof. For this reason his parents questioned me about my ex. I told them my ex had backed off, which was true because Jake had backed off ever since his last threat.

For yearbook I had to get a video montage together for the students. The video was going to play right before the end of the dance. I had finished and edited the video and gave it to Jake after class. He just took the tape and didn’t say anything. Jake was such a bipolar person. He had more mood swings than a pregnant woman.

“I’ll see you in a couple hours,” Chad said.

We were outside in the school parking lot by his new Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV. His parents had just decided against getting him the same car again so he was now driving this. It was a nice car but I didn’t know all the ends and outs of cars so to me a car was just a car. 

“Alright,” I said. 

Mackenzie and I were going over to Bridget’s house to get ready for the dance. Chad and his friends would be by to pick us up after they got ready. I was going with Chad and Mackenzie was going with Ben and Bridget was going with Troy. Ben and Troy were Chad’s closest friends so they were going with Mackenzie and Bridget out of convenience. It was better than looking for a date and then having a lame time because their date wasn’t any fun.

Chad and I parted ways and I got in Mackenzie’s car so we could follow Bridget over to her house. When we got to Bridget’s house we did our hair and makeup first then we all got our dresses on. We all went for short dresses instead of long dresses. 

My dress was light blue with beaded detailing and I wore black heels. Mackenzie’s dress was bubble gum pick and sparkly. Her shoes were the same color as her dress because she wanted everything to match. Bridget’s dress was violet and she wore black heels just like me. 

By the time we were all dressed the guys were arriving. They showed up in black suits all of them. They had the easy job when it came to what to wear for the night. All of us gathered in the living room so Bridget’s parents could get a couple pictures. When we were finished getting the pictures taken we all left so we could get to the dance. 

“You look beautiful baby,” Chad said.

“Thank you. You look handsome yourself,” I said. 

During the car ride to the dance we all just talked about what we planned on doing after the dance. Ben suggested me go to IHOP to get some food. Troy suggested we all go back to his house. But nothing was set in stone just yet.

When we all got to the dance the school gym was packed. All of the school dances were held in the school’s gymnasium. The guys went off to talk to some of their other friends while the girls and I went and talked to some other friends of ours. Bridget and Mackenzie were cheerleaders so they knew a lot of the other students. 

I stood talking to the girls for a while about pointless stuff. Mainly all the girls were talking about who the hottest boys were and what dresses they were wearing and what plans they had made for after the dance. That’s why I only hung out with Bridget and Mackenzie most of the time because most of the other girls were too superficial and had nothing interesting to talk about.