z-ringshipping

tw: details of gender identity conflict & severe cringe

r: strong language

au: high school in kalos

it might come as a shock to many of you that, as athletic and exercise-loving as he was, the ash we know hated gym class with a passion. it was boring, stupid, and overly competitive. did it make sense to swear at each other over whether the ball landed in the goal or not? he didn't think so.

but the worst part of gym was not having much flexibility for baggy clothes, which were his safe place. even when no one was looking at him, he felt so embarrassed that he could die every time his shirt sunk into his small body.

but he wasn't on his own.

"that was good, ash! considering you don't like basketball, i appreciate the effort. maybe a little more enthusiasm next time"

politely, ash smiled and nodded to professor kukui, knowing full well that shot he made just then wasn't at all effort and in fact a very much failed attempt to hit professor in the head.

he felt his hair being entangled into a firm grip and pulled back so he could face the worst of all faces: paul. mean, arrogant, and transph--...actually, you'll see that last one in action.

"yeah, good shot, ash. that was impressive for someone your height playing basketball", he mocked sarcastically, "but actually, now that i think about it, aren't you a too short for a boy? oh, wait..."

trip and alain snickered behind him while ash backed himself up into a wall, crossing his arms in an attempt to compress his chest.

just when he thought he might actually cry, the snickering stopped and almost instantly became a pile of empty, fearful apologies.

"i-i mean...it's not like boys can't, uh, be short, t-too"

"yeah...heh, we didn't mean anything by it, just, that you're good at basketball being such a short g--boy! uhm, we should go get changed--"

hesitantly, he looked up a little bit before raising his head to see a wall--a very protective and handsome wall--shielding him from the bullies that were now retreating.

"how shameless", kiawe muttered as he turned and bent down, placing his hands on the younger boy's shoulders, "are you okay?"

as always, ash found himself stuttering in the presence of his tall, muscular friend.

"a-ah, well, it's not a big deal, they're just idiots, really, so, of course i'm fine! we should go, and c-change!"

so perhaps we can conclude that there are two things in gym class that make ash feel self-conscious: 1. clothes. 2. paul and his tall, small-minded men. 

but, for some reason, kiawe always made sure to protect him, and seemed to have a deep hatred for anyone who messed with him, even if ash didn't really care that much. still, it made him feel safe. and i tell you, when your overprotective friend sometimes feels a little more like a friend to you, it's incredibly heart-fluttering.

but gym class wasn't the only struggle in ash's life. and we've only seen him in school so far.

"i'll just go step into the shower real quick while you change", kiawe told ash, who made a sound of agreement as he slung his bag over his shoulder.

"wo-woah!", trip yelled, sliding in ash's way to the door, "where d'you think you're going? let me guess. going to the bathroom to change again?"

ash tried to back away, but was shoved by paul the opposite way into a corner.