Trustedpartnershipping vs Firstfriendshipping

thought i would do an au since it has been a while since i did one!

school au

enjoy :)

Don't give up until it's over.

Those words felt like more of a lie each time. Each time he'd be on his knees with blood on his hands, his vision blurring and the faint sound of cruel teasing trapping him in a corner.

"We could've snapped you in half; consider yourself lucky, you tiny little shit"

For a while, he tried with all his strength to ignore them, but eventually, he was led to believe every word they said.

His only argument, however, was that he didn't consider it luck. For how long, he couldn't remember, but he had preferred for them to put him out of his misery instead.

Though he didn't know why, he kept going and didn't allow himself to lose consciousness until the others in his sight cleared, and a boy with worried blue eyes peeped his head around the corner.

"Ash! Are you okay? D-don't worry! I'll get help-...nurse-!"

Gou. His friend who had supported him through his suffering, and didn't expect him to be strong like everyone else did. That was why he kept going. He and Gou needed each other, and he felt an indescribable longing to be with him. 

Probably because they were such good friends.

His next thought was a sense of familiarity, but not the pleasant kind. For what had to be the thousandth time, he was lying on a white bed in a room where his best friend would be sitting next to him, waiting for him to wake up.

"Ash..?"

He propped himself up, smiling weakly.

"I'm okay", he sighed, "Don't worry so much, Gou. You're already nervous about exam season and your choice of college. I don't want to add to that stress"

"But you're even more stressed!", cried Gou, gently holding the bandage around Ash's arm, "Yet you're still trying to make me feel better?...You're the one who's getting bullied..."

"...That doesn't make your struggles any less difficult"

-next day-

Koharu saw the two boys entering the school among the cluster of students, looking more than friends, as usual.

"Ash! You're okay! Gou told me what happened-"

"He did? Gou..."

The boy bowed his head in embarrassment, having hoped it wouldn't be mentioned.

"Yeah. He was worried. And so was I, but you look alright, as usual!"

"I am. Gou just tends to worry..."

"...Only because you don't worry enough about yourself"

Oh, if only he could say the real reason.

The school day proceeded as usual. The same routine, the same beginning. The same end, where Ash found himself cornered once again. 

"You know, it's kind of a good thing you always make it through", said Gary, pulling something sharp out of his pocket, "'Cause I can torture you over, and over, and over..."

Just like always, his senses started to leave him as his body melted to the floor. Only this time, there was another voice. Not Gou's, but another soothing, firm voice.

"Beat it", he heard them say, before he felt a hand take his own and lift him back onto his feet.

He found himself staring into deep green eyes and clenched teeth.