Trustedpartnershipping vs Aquashipping

Specks of sunlight shone through the tall trees. The grass was tipped with gold. Lush greenery danced with the serene breeze, swaying to its rhythm. Long, deep breaths could be heard every now and then from the two trainers strolling through the forest.

"Ah, Ash, this was such a good idea", Gladion breathed, closing his eyes as he smiled.

"Told you so. It's great for calming down. Definitely works on you"

"All I really need is your voice and I'll be fine..."

"Huh?

"N-Nothing!"

As the sky slowly began to darken, Gladion didn't even have to look over his shoulder to know Ash had his hands excitedly cupping his chin, squealing at the amber rays of sunlight shining through their last moments.

"Let's hurry so we can make it to the river in time!", he proposed, dashing through the leaves.

"Ash, hold on!"

In a few moments he was able to see the river sparkling under the sun. He saw his crush near his foot towards the edge of the river. 

Out of nowhere, a hurricane of water emerged from the surface. Although the liquid barely touched Ash's face, the sudden clash with the barricade of water was enough to cause a lapse in his heartbeat, forcing his eyes upwards. Above his worry for his crush, who had just been knocked unconscious, Gladion couldn't help but notice a shadow of a Pokemon behind the water.

Before his foot could even slip forwards to catch him, said Pokemon managed to smoothly stop him touching the ground, pulling his body in to touch its own.

"Ash...Ash, are you alright?", Gladion panted as he made it to them, disregarding the Pokemon who debatably just saved him.

"Ah, yeah, I'm...I'm good", Ash murmured as if he was sleepy, barely able to keep his eyes open.

Now Gladion felt obliged to confront this Pokemon.

"This is your fault! You just shot out of the water like that! If you were quick enough to catch him then you should've been able to sense him getting close to the river!", he scolded, using his hands for exaggeration.

"No, Gladion...this is...this is my Pokemon"

His hand immediately pulled back as he bowed in apology, blushing profusely at the misunderstanding.

"This is my Greninja", Ash explained, finding the strength to sit up on his own, "I got it as a Froakie in Kalos, then had to give it up as a Greninja. But, I'm guessing by the fact that you're here that you're done with your mission?"

Greninja nodded happily, earning a grin and chuckle from Ash. Gladion, on the other hand, wasn't too impressed. Greninja was done with its mission, and the first thing it does is go back to Ash?

Calm down, Gladion. That's what any loyal Pokemon would do. Heck, you'd go right back to Ash if you finished a mission.

"Ah, there's still time for sunset!"

Sitting side by side, Greninja and Gladion on either side of Ash, they stared as the sun descended into the horizon, tossing sheets of rose and gold across the sky. 

Correction. Ash was the only one watching. The other two were watching each other to make sure neither one made any moves. It was only when Ash fell asleep did they snap out of their staring contest.

The blonde was sure he could see his head sliding onto Greninja's shoulder. Without any second thoughts, he swiftly (but carefully) took hold of Ash's head, wrapped his arms around the younger boy and pulled him towards himself.

When I tell you Greninja got mad...dude didn't even say anything.

"Guess we're gonna be staying out here", Gladion groaned, receiving a moan in turn from the water Pokemon, "Not like I mind carrying him home. You definitely don't after the way you caught him"

"Ninja?"

Gladion turned to the Pokemon with Ash still in his arms, raising an eyebrow.

"Oh, please. I've been against a ninja, a stupid honey-blonde girl, and an idiot who has grass for hair. You can't even talk back with words. Think you stand a chance against me?"

"Ninja"

"Yeah. A ninja"

The petty Pokemon intertwined its fingers with its trainer's, watching as the boy unconsciously tightened his grip on its hand. 

"T-That's right...you two have a bond. Well...whatever!", Gladion huffed, snatching Ash's hand back.

Poor Ash woke up to his friend and his Pokemon refusing to look at each other, having to play the biggest part in finding their way back home.

I mean, at least he got to see sunset.

Thanks for reading and I'm happy to take suggestions!

Apologies to the person who requested this, it shouldn't have taken more than a week. I'm so slow these days...

Have a nice day :)