Chapter 16

The news had to be connected in some way to Sara, but Jake hoped it wasn't connected at all as he could be seen busting out of the clubroom and up the stair case, head on towards his homeroom.

"Please... if there is any good left... please let it be now..." Jake begged, stumbling by people and sometimes shoving them aside.

Almost every student looked at Jake oddly, but it didn't matter to him, all he wanted to see was Sara. After realizing what he had done, like ignoring her and rejecting her multiple times without giving it a second thought, not appreciating her enough after being saved, and sadly more; he couldn't stop thinking: "Am I too late? Will she disappear without knowing how I truly feel now?"

Seconds later he found himself in front of his homeroom half empty, but without Sara in sight.

"Damn it... damn it all..." Jake curses, falling on his knees as more students whispered talking about a dramatic scene and others mentioning the drama club.

All Jake could do was kneel there, planing his next step.

"I-I'll look around the school, or the mall, maybe she went there because she remembered something... or...or-" Jake stops, realizing what really was going on, "I... I can't give up, I will find her no matter what... I can't...no... I won't let them take her... because it was my fault after all." He awkwardly chuckles at the end, determined.

"J-Jake?" A unique voice said.

Jake jolts, turning his head and body around to a pleasant surprise. Sara stood right in front of him.

"S-Sara?" Jake stands closing in on her, "Sara."

Jake's child-like instincts kick in as he firmly hugs her, close to letting tears drench her uniform.

Everyone looked as the interaction happened, but it didn't stop Sara from feeling nostalgic as she remembers her childhood with him, dependent of her as ever. She couldn't help but to hug him back. Jake flinches and hides a smiles, retracting seconds later and facing her.

"I'm certain that you want an apology from me... too much has been going through my head since yesterday and today." Jake begins.

"...Yeah, same here actually, but you don't need to worry since I was the one who was too persistent, even though you don't like me... I'm supposed to be sorry..." She instead apologizes. "I didn't think twice, I was placing you in an awkward position and-"

"You're wrong... I was acting narcissistic, not acknowledging your feelings and ignoring Jess's hints." Jake begins, "I was following my childhood... stuck as friends, taking every promise as a fantasy but not a reality back then... I-I would tell you more but... they won't stop staring." Jake points out, chuckling nervously.

Sara was surprised, her heart rate raised as she realizes the impossible seemed possible after all. With a sentimental heart, she ordered: "No, I-I want to hear it now."

Everyone suddenly starts cheering for the rest of the speech.

"Say the rest! Say the rest!" They slowly chanted in sync.

Jake was red as well and smirked noticing Sara's smile.

"It's my punishment... fair enough." Jake notices, "I-I'm sorry, I'm sorry for avoiding your confessions, for not acknowledging your emotional feelings... like that time in the kitchen or with my parents, for ignoring the things you said about me in front of them... and for making you cry... I'm certain it went that far." Jake mentions staring straight at Sara who was nervously chuckling after hearing the last part.

"I never wanted to make you feel bad and horrible about yourself, I only believed it was the right thing to do, but I was obviously wrong. Everything that had happened until this point was all do to you wanting me to notice something more in you, a side you don't show to anyone but me, like the sweet things you said to my parents about me." He scratches the back of his head and looks slightly away nervously as Sara blushes.