Chapter 17

"She hasn't answered me... that's a good sign, right El?" Jess asks, fixing her hair and smiling nervously.

"I don't know." She dryly answers.

Jess and Ellie sat by each other in recess between classes. Even though Ellie wasn't part of her class she came by to spend some time with Jess. It was crowded and loud, but at this point in their lives of school they have gotten used to it.

Ellie listened to music through one wired earbud and Jess had been staring at her phone, waiting for Sara's response since it was surprising for her to ask something about Jake to her.

"I'm glad though, they're moving up." Jess sighs in relief, holding the phone onto her chest.

Ellie couldn't help but smirk.

"Knowing her, she might be even more clingy than she has ever been." Ellie mentions, "Having a crush is something, but having an actual boyfriend is challenging when it comes to other women."

"Pshhh, how would you know?" Jess asks, waving her hand forward, as if she was shooing Ellie.

"You wouldn't like to know." Ellie thinks, playing with the earbud's wire.

Ellie shrugs, "But forget about them for a bit. What about you now?"

"Me?" Jess asks, feeling weird all of a sudden.

"Yes you, you're not gonna live by, staring at their love develop from the sidelines... right?" Ellie reassures.

"N-No, but I'll... I'll just keep the club going." She answers, smiling.

"No no, I mean relationship wise." Ellie mentions, shutting off her music and staring at her right in the eyes but without moving her head towards her.

"I'm pretty sure I'll find someone, someone who's capable of going anywhere for me." Jess poetically answers.

Ellie swallows first and takes a hidden deep breath.

"Well... what if it was not... a guy who treats you that way?" Ellie was trying to get somewhere with that question as she now looked away from Sara.

"I mean you seem to follow me a lot and you're not a guy." Jess thinks out loud.

"You make me sound like a stalker." Ellie rests her head on her hand, pressing her elbow against the table.

"No not like that, you're always there to help me in things I needed it, and also in case of company, which I'm grateful for." Jess smiles.

"Th-Then what is our position?" Ellie asks, desperate for an answer.

...Silence between them as the roaring of the classroom pressed on.

"Mmm, you've always been my best friend." Jess smiles.

Ellie sighs and chuckles.

"What am I doing..?" She thinks, "...Is this what Sara felt all this time?" She whispers under her breath, without even knowing.

"Hmm?" Jess asks, "Did you say something?"

"N-No no, just talking to myself." Ellie chuckles. "It was good to know." She smiles.

After a sudden pause, Jess proceeds to wear the unused and loose earbud. She closes in on Ellie which makes her get a tingly feeling. The music was still paused so it got a bit awkward.

"You look tense, are you alright?" Jess asks, concerned.

Ellie's heart could explode in an instant, sharing an earbud, having close eye contact; she would hug her and tell her everything she felt a that moment... but it was just a fantasy for her,