Chapter 7

As soon as I stand up, vision me does the same. I head to the vending machine and buy two cold coffees.

"I wonder how it tastes like." Vision Jake wonders.

"The coffee?" I ask.

"Yeah." He answers.

"It's...sweet...depending on how much sugar you add."

"Sweet...huh. What is sweet?" Lil J asks, looking at his hands.

"You don't remember drinking coffee back then?" I ask, confused.

"It's not if I remember, it's that I'm your ten year oldish consciousness... I am you but not you... right?" He tries to explain.

"...Right." I affirm.

"I detect sarcasm." He guesses.

"... Anyways, coffee is sweet... Let's say...something nice, something that makes you happy." I try to make sense

"Huh..." He tries to understand.

"Umm, l-let's just go back." I mention, walking forward.

Lil J wakes up from the thoughts in his head and walks beside me.

We reach the hallway where Jess's mom was located. The hallway's walls and floor were tiled with small squares, and it had a pattern of cream and brown. More wood benches were ten to fifteen feet apart, and no one was around us. I head towards Jess's mother and notice her head was the same, staring right at the floor, so I showed her the coffee can so she looks up to me.

"We are gonna stay here a while, so you should drink up." I said, trying to smile but with no success.

"T-Thanks." She thanks, picking up the can and opening it.

I sit beside her, but now the feeling of guilt fills my mind. The thought of being the cause of Jess's lethal wound hasn't left, I didn't even drink my coffee, to not show my face. Carrying that guilt meant that I had to at least say something, but right as my mouth opened to say something, it stopped midway out.

"I-I'm... sorry..." I was able to say.

Her face turned towards me, there were no more tears on her face but instead red puffy eyes instead.

"Why..? You saved her life, because of you she'll be fine... just like you said." She answered.

She had a lot of faith in my words and was able to control herself, she really is an adult.

"I didn't make it in time..." I mention, calming down.

"Me neither, instead I stayed in the car to wait for her." She mentions as well, "See? Now it makes the two of us with regrets... but... how bad was the wound?"

"I couldn't tell, but my shirt rag was able to stabilize the wound a bit meaning it was probably a small knife." I analyzed, restoring a bit of my faith.

A moment of silence later, she greets.

"I'm Alex." She greets, getting firm on the bench and hovering her hand in front of me.

"I'm Jake." I introduce myself, gently shaking her hand.

She suddenly holds my hand with the other hand.

"W-Wait Jake? The Jake with the...maid?" She recognizes, internally amazed but sad externally, for some reason and holding my hand a little tighter than before.

"Y-Yeah, I guess you can recognize me like that." I said, awkwardly grinning.

I open them back up and ask.