Chapter 6

Flashback

"Twenty four sheep... Twenty five sheep... Twenty- *crash* six... sheep" Ten year old me counts, trying to fall asleep until the loud crash, "Dad, mom?"

I, being a curious ten year old boy at the time,  take a flashlight from my night table and exit the room. Worried but afraid I aimed the flashlight towards every direction, seeing portraits of my family, nature and the city, all kinds of stuff. After checking my parents room and realize they were still wandering around their dreams, I sigh and head towards the kitchen, where my sights were set on a broken lamp on the floor, shattered to pieces.

"That's what fell." I sigh in relief, "The maids are sleeping so I'll take care of it."

Skipping, I head to the basement to grab myself a broom. After slowly walking down the stairs, I turn the rather bright light on, quickly setting my eyes towards the broom. Then I realize... it was really quiet giving me the chills, and even worse when a rattle of steps impacting the wooden floor where heard around me. I was now afraid, locked in position, paralyzed, frozen, without knowing what to do or what it even was. Crawling to a corner made it worse, knowing the animal could attack me at any second. I've never felt so fearful before, it felt like this is where it would end.

"I'm scared... I'm scared... Help, please." I cried, curling up into a ball.

Out of nowhere the thuds where quickly headed my way. There's... nothing I could do, my weak body wasn't made for this... this is where it- Suddenly the animal whined for a second, it made me look up and see the person who had saved me. The light had dimmed out from how old it was, meaning it wasn't strong enough to show who the person was. I shook my head and looked at the creature, it was a slightly small rabid badger with a hole on its back. It made me feel sad that an animal had been injured in front of me, I was going to get close to it and give it care, but...the unknown person got to the it faster than me, grabbing it from his back pelt and throwing it away. My flashlight had dropped from my pocket, turning on and revealing the unknown person... it was... Sara. She shushed the badger, as it wheezed closer to its death, placing her index finger on its snout and immediately stabbing it in the throat multiple times with a slightly big knife.

"S-S...Sara?" I ask, slowly crawling closer to the corner.

Sara finally finishes her stab fest leaving the knife stuck to it's throat. She takes off her white and bloody gloves, and heads towards me. I basically tried climbing up the wall for how much I kept crawling backwards. Sara caught up and surprisingly hugged me.

"S-Sara..." I say, shocked but finally feeling safe.

"Don't worry, I won't let anything, not even the nicest things, take you away from me." She said and then proceeded with a gentle kiss on my cheek.

End of Flashback

Sara's POV

"I have to think about it." Jake said, unlocking the front door entrance and heading towards his room.

I told him how I couldn't wait for his response to my feelings... but there's this tension now.

He's mad at me, is he? I know what to do, I knew all along, but I was a coward in front of her. I decide to grab a knife and hide it in my book bag.

Ten minutes later

Here I am, in front of the entrance of the book club.