Chapter 18

The pair emerge from the water as Ellie and Jess waited in the heated pavement. Jess stood in silence, feeling guilty of her actions, gently elbowing Ellie to pick up on her mood who in reality didn't care less.

"We're sorry, we thought you didn't mind and..." Jess continued apologizing staring at the floor and holding her left arm with her right hand out of guilt.

Jake, on the other hand, was making his way towards Ellie to whisper something into her ear.

"S-So again, we didn't... huh... J-Jake?" Jess pauses, staring at him.

"Oh, sure." Ellie nods and approaches Jess. Once in front her, she says in a monotone voice: "Oh no, we're falliiiiing."

The large splash rains upon Sara, and Jake closes his eyes before receiving the minimal amount. They chuckle and smile as the divers reach the surface far quicker than before, it seemed as if Ellie didn't want to see an unprepared Jess at the bottom of the pool.

"*gasp* N-Now we're even!" Jess exclaims, spitting the excess water from her mouth and holding onto Ellies back.

Jake smirks and gives a thumbs up to Ellie, who in return nods her head a bit, not until she focuses on Jess's touch. It was so much she unconsciously attempted to place her right hand on Jess's left hand which grasped her shoulder, quickly retracting before she made contact.

"Jake, tug of war; Sara ride him." Ellie demands, keeping her cool.

Sara's cheeks redden.

"Sara, what did you just think?" Ellie sarcastically asks, and then looks back at Jake, "And what did you think?"

He was not buying it, "Let's not go there."

Water splashes could be heard constantly as the hour went by, from swimming, 'cannonballing' into the pool, splashing each other; and the quiet moments that were caused by them holding their breaths underwater as a competition, Jake almost winning by tickling and making Sara and Jess chuckle and lose air, but Ellie won in the end.

"Welp, that settles it, you and Sara are buying ice cream for all of us." Ellie smirks after emerging.

"*sigh* I did cheat so fair is fair." Jake accepts defeat. "Let's go, Sara."

The pair walk off towards a near shop after drying and wearing their outdoor clothes. The sound of their flip flops fade in seconds.

At that moment, Ellie catches Jess staring at them until they leave her field of vision. With her distracted, Ellie's urge to hold her hand haunt her once again, but then the desire grows, wanting to instead hold her whole being after analyzing her back-revealing black swimsuit.

"I can't... I can't hold it." Ellie struggles. "She's jealous of her, I can see it... I would too if he took Jess."

Ellie suddenly latches onto Jess, arms around her armpits.

"So, Jess, where did you get that swimsuit?" Ellie asks, gently placing her chin on her shoulder. "It looks oddly... familiar."

"I-I bought it at sale in the mall..." Jess quickly says, showing much suspicion.

"Hmm, then remind me, what was the swimsuit your mom wore to impress your dad?" Ellie asked, playing with the string of the left side of the bikini.

"It was... black..." Jess starts.

"Yeahhh?" Ellie waits for the rest.

"I-It had-" Jess attempts to continue.

"Don't worry, I'm just messin' with you." She chuckles a bit. "You look great in it."