Chapter 8

"What are you hiding, Jake?" Alex asks in a confused expression.

I constantly glanced at Jess and Alex. There's no way out of this one with two curious people at once. Besides... they find me suspicious, it's hard to admit it but I'm the bad guy here, knowing who the killer was.

After a deep breath, my phone vibrates. I grab it from my right pocket and see a message...from Sara, attached was a picture.

"Hey, I want to say I'm sorry for hurting a loved person..." It started, my heart calming down for once this whole night... until I continue reading, "so I have an idea, since Jess's mother isn't in the house anymore and there is no sign of a father or family member I'll just burn it to the ground... no one will get hurt."

I tap the image and see Sara with a lit lighter that is usually used for cigarettes. But there was something...different about this. Seconds later of analyzing, I notice that the background was a house, not our house, but someone else's house.

"What is it, Jake?" Jess asks.

"I got a message from," I look at Jess, "Someone..."

My hand trembled, there was only one way to prove if this was Jess's house. I show Alex the picture, and rage fills her body.

"Wait, I have an idea, I'll lie." I mention.

I text to her, "Jess doesn't live-" I stop, noticing Sara was typing again.

Something was sent from her, "And don't worry, I made sure this was her house."

Fuck

"We have to go there, I'll slow her down." I plan ahead.

I get up and head towards the door.

Alex grabs her keys and does the same.

"J-Jake, mom, what's going on?" Jess asks.

"We'll explain later." Alex quickly responds.

Jess's POV

And like that they are gone... is it Sara again..? Mom just met Jake so it has to be something serious... but is it... my fault?

I try moving but the pain just gets worse.

I just got in the way of Sara's love for Jake... if I rejected him then maybe this would've never happened... maybe I'll tell him about my feelings towards him but reject his... but isn't this unfair for him.

Tears drip from my cheeks, "Love isn't supposed to be this hard." I tell myself.

Jakes POV

After seconds of dashing down the stairs, we reach the car quickly.

"This is all my fault," I whisper to myself "Just because I didn't love her.... she started acting this way."

Right after finishing my whimpers, something smacks my face and makes the impact zone to start burning.

"Snap out of it, Jake, we haven't even seen... fire," She says, gripping the steering wheel even tighter, "You did the right thing thinking about your true feelings, she's the one that went ahead and made crazy decisions."

I touch my burning left cheek.

"S-Sorry, I just feel really guilty." I said, looking outside the window