10. Khadoos Hitler

Saira Malik 

Sitting cross-legged by my luggage, I ran my eyes across the clothes thrown in the bag. Only one thought running on my mind like an endless loop. 

Why Allah?  Why? 

Why did Papa have to agree to send me with him? 

Him?! 

Emad aur Maryam ke saath acha jaati thi mai! Lekin nai. Aysa kaisa? My beloved father had to say yes to his best friend's son!

"Urghhhhh!" I groan, covering my face in my hands.

"What happened lardki?" I heard Maryam's voice from behind me. "Rishta pakka hogaya?" She teased plopping down on the bed. I turned my head, shooting her a look.

"Ji haan. Aapke jeeju lene aare meku aaj!" I reply, smiling sarcastically at the bitter joke.

She stifled a laugh, pressing her lips together. "Waise sahi bolu? Banda handsome hai aur tu bhi. . . average type hai. You guys would look good together."

"Mai average aur une handsome? Mar jao tum!"

"Mar hi to gai hai meri behen, humare jeeju pe!" She said dramatically, doing the nazar na lage weird gesture with her arms. 

"Maryam! Allah ke vaaste chordo meku. Khadoos aane wala hai 1 hour me. Let me get ready!" I plead, clasping my hands together before her.

"Areyy. . .ye problem hai? Bolna nai pehle, bekar me jeeju ke baatan karke time waste karre jabse. Wait. . . lemme help you pick an outfit then." She said, getting to her feet while licking the chips masala from her fingers. Without washing her hands, she sat down by me, her hand inching closer to my clean clothes.

"Aye!" I grab her wrist, preventing her from touching anything. "Wash your hands first." Mona darling regards me with a bored look and a roll of her eyes.

"They're clean." 

"Coated with your saliva? Sure."

"Allah! Help hona hai ke nai?"

"Aysi help nai hona."

"Saira. . .let me give you an outfit. Hitler's gonna be here soon."

"Hitler who?" I scrunch my nose in confusion, letting go of her hand.

"Mr. Fahad Abdullah. Who else?"

"Oh, haan. Lekin tere haath--" I stop mid-sentence only to find her digging in my bags with both hands, making me facepalm myself. Uff Allah!

After minutes of rummaging and some more digging, she pulled out a pastel pink-colored Kurti, and shoved light-washed jeans into my hands, and ushering me inside the bathroom.  Putting the clothes on, I smiled at the reflection.

Hmm. . .not bad. A bit of concealer, and the minimal would do. Satisfied with the way I looked, I headed back into the room. 

"Zabardast!" She clapped her hands together. "Let's watch something by the time Hitler is here." She said patting the space beside her on the bed. 

.  .

"Saira!" I hear mom call my name. I don't reply, my mind and eyes immersed in the movie scene. Maryam offers me the bag of chips, which I take subconsciously and stuff my mouth with it, trying not to make sounds so I could hear the exchange between the characters. 

"Saira." None of us budge. 

"SAIRA!" I jump in my spot, at the loud noise. 

"Ji?"