--Dooriyan

The wall clock behind me ticks with each passing second

The wall clock behind me ticks with each passing second. I sit back in the chair, loosening the necktie before undoing the top button that has been choking me since morning. My fingers traveled to the cuff of my black shirt and undo them, before rolling the sleeves up to my elbows. I blow a breath in exhaustion, already drained on the first day of the week.

The screen of my desktop lights up to an incoming video call. I hit the answer icon without even blinking.

"Salam," My brow knits together when darkness takes over the span of the screen. "Jaana?"

"Umm, hi, Salam." Her voice, dipped in nervousness, reached my ears. "Khairyat?"

"Apan toh Khairyat hai, lekin tum kaha hai?"

"New York main, where else?"

"Why is it dark?"

"Because, the lights are turned off." She replied in a duh tone.

"Go switch them on."

"Haha, but why?"

"What do you mean, 'haha, but why?' I need to see you. That's why."

"Yeah, but, why do you need to see me?"

"So, I can admire your beauty."

"Not today." I snort. Like hell I will. "Nothing would change if you don't look at me for one day."

"What's that supposed to mean? Why won't you show yourself?" I furrow my brows, trying to keep my tone in check. But, my dear jaana wasn't having it this way.

"Because, I don't wanna."

"What the fuck, Saira?" I snap, only for her to snap back at me.

"What?"

"What is wrong with you?"

"What's wrong is that you're forcing me to do something I just don't want to do today."

"All I'm asking for is to turn that stupid light on so I can see who I'm talking to."

"You've already seen me a thousand times over the past several months. In fact, you just saw me yesterday!" She exclaimed.

"Yes. And I want to see you today too!"

"Fahad, kyu zidd karre?" She whines.

(Why are you being so stubborn?)

"Main zidd nahi karra, Saira. Tum deewane baatan karre."

(I'm not acting stubborn, Saira. You're the one who's not making sense.)

"Main kaisa deewane baat kari? Kiya hojata mujhe nahi dekhe ek din toh?" She prods.

(What's going to happen if you don't see my face for one day? I'm still talking to you, aren't i?)