41. Chaka Chak

To all the Maryam and Imran shippers 🎆💞

Rehana Baji plops down beside me on the diwan with a loud sigh of exhaustion

Rehana Baji plops down beside me on the diwan with a loud sigh of exhaustion. A groan leaves her mouth when she rests her head on my shoulder, closing her eyes for a couple of moments.

"Hello to you too," I mutter, glancing at her head. She makes a sound in response but doesn't say a word. "Did Muaz finally decide to sleep?"

"Don't get me started on that little monster." She grumbles.

"Hey! Don't call my nephew a monster. He's the cutest thing I've ever seen."

"He's only cute when he wants to be." She corrects me.

"Likewise for his mother. Where is he?"

"In Emad's room, I think. Or yours. Can't recall." Baji waves a hand. "All that matters is, he's sleeping peacefully. And spared me some time to breathe. Being a mother is so hard, Turkey, I tell you. Especially when--"

"Especially when your husband is off somewhere enjoying his life." Cutting her off, I complete the sentence.

"Oh my God, yes! How do you know that?" Sitting up straight, she narrowed her brows at me.

"Because," I pause to peek at the progress of henna on my hands, before speaking up again. "You've said it more than a hundred times since the second Dulha Bhai dropped you here. Which is in fact, this morning."

"I can't help it, Turkey. He's just not where he needs to be at the moment."

"You won't let him do anything when he's around, anyway. Let the man enjoy his best mate's wedding, at least."

"It's not that--- Urgh, you won't get it."

"Baji, I'm not saying being a mother is a piece of cake. It's. . .different. And it takes time to get used to everything. Muaz is barely 3 months old. Don't go so hard on yourself." She falls silent, staring at her hands before bobbing her head.

"It's different. Very different. And I'm barely acing it every day."

"You're trying at least," I pacify, offering her an encouraging smile.

"And I need to try harder."

"That's more like it."

"Okay, enough talking about me. It is your mehndi today. And, I am sorry, but I don't get the vibes here." True to every word. It is my mehndi as you read this with some lame song going in the background. I was the bride and it seemed like everyone else was enjoying except us. Glancing around the room buzzing with people, I sigh.

"That's 'cuz I am the bride and I am the one who usually brings the vibes."

"I'd give you that. You remember my mehndi?" Baji wiggles her brows, flashing me a sly smile.