Bonus II

Saira Malik

"Baji," Imran whispered, as I leaned toward him to set his hair. "Can you tell your shohar to stop killing me without actually killing me?"

"What?" I blink in response. He tilts his head and gestures towards his right where Fahad stood clad in a crisp blue 2 piece shooting death glares at Imran, the groom.

I look away and sigh, nodding my head at him. Flashing the newlywed couple a smile, I twirl around and descend the stairs of the stage. Before approaching my husband dearest, a make a pit stop at the drinks table and grab a glass of water for him.

"Here," I offer, holding the plastic glass of chilled water between us.

"Nahi chahiyea," He grumbled, sparing me side glance before turning to look at Imran to stab him some more with his fatal glares.

"Fahad,"

"I don't want it, Jaana."

"Theek hai, bus take it and keep it somewhere. My hand is starting to ache." I play the pregnant wife card and watch him soften a little as he plucks the glass from my hand and places it on the floor.

"I want to talk to you. Now. Step outside for a couple–"

"I don't wanna."

"--For a couple of minutes with me." I finish. But when he shakes his head, refusing to glance at me, I am forced to let out a loud, dramatic exhale.

Taking his hand in mine, I practically drag him outside the banquet hall, into the night under the sky, tuning out his protests.

"Woh kiya tha, Saira?" He grits, when I finally let go of his hand once we were outside and stood in a corner.

"I don't know, Fahad. You tell me." I say, crossing my hands over my chest. "Woh kiya tha?"

"Listen, I am in no mood to–"

"--to accept your brother is getting married." I complete it for him. He falls silent again, bowing his head in defeat with a sigh. Taking that as my cue, I continue knowing this is the best time to get to him. "Fahad, this is just as abrupt for Imran as it is to you. And, yet, he is more happier, and carefree and chill. It's his wedding, and you are acting weird."

"That's exactly the problem!" He exclaimed, loudly. "He is carefree and chill and relaxed because he doesn't know what he has in store for himself."

"That is so unfair!"

"Nahi, Jaana. That is the harsh reality. I have been in his place and I know how it feels."

"Feels what?"

"The responsibility, the change your life undergoes, everything. I wasn't even as old as him when I got engaged to you. Yet, I am still struggling to cope with our life. How do you think he'll be able to do it? How do you think she will be able to handle it? Bichari is still in college, pursuing her degree."

"When you know how things will go from here on, why don't you support him through it?" I ask, throwing him off guard. "It doesn't make sense why you're so upset that he's getting married early. Are you jealous? Cuz he got to marry early and you tied the knot when you were 28? Huh?" I tease, poking a finger in his stomach and earning a small smile. "You sneaky human."

"It's not that," Fahad denied, with a roll of his eyes.

"Lier."

"Why will I lie?"

"I don't know." I chuckle. Taking a step closer to him, I put my palms on either side of his face and make him look at me. "You're his older brother, jaan. He'll want your support now more than ever. I know whatever happened this past week wasn't really in the plan, but, that doesn't mean we fight things. Hai na?" He nods.