19. Wo Tumhara Nahi

It's a pretty long one! Please apne seatbelts fasten kar lijiyea. Humari udaan shuru hone wali hai  🙏🏻

SAIRA MALIK

"Why do I have to go the wedding shopping? Wo bhi Htler me saath?!" I whine for the umpteenth time, ever since the breaking news dropped  like a nuclear weapon on me.

"Because, you have to go. Baat khatam! Ab utho jaldi and get ready. They're gonna be here soon!" Mom says, roughly jerking my leg which layed wrapped up in the comfy duvet.

"Mom let's drop it, na? Please! Mein kiya karu jaake? I don't even know anything here! Why can't someone from the groom's side go on their own?"

"Wajih is the only child and he doesn't have anyone to help him with all this."

"He must have girl cousins! Can't he take them?!"

"You want Rehana to wear some horrendous attire on her wedding day just because you were too lazy to go?"

"Mujhe kuch pata bhi to nahi hai yahan ka system. Pho ko jaane do with them."

"Saira! Aakhri baar bolri main. Utho aur ready ho! I've had enough of your excuses for a day." She says sternly with a finality in her tone.

"Mumma!" I whine.

"Get up!" I huff, throwing the comfy duvet away and swinging my legs to the floor before dragging myself towards the bathroom.

Allah jaane aaj kiya hone wala hai!

Taking my sweet time, I freshen up then get ready heading out into the living room.

"Kider chali sawari?" Maryam mocks, stuffing her mouth with aloo ka paratha.

(Where ya headin to?)

Deciding to ignore her remark, I plop down on the chair against the dining table.

"Mumma, meri shopping kon karre phir?" I try persuading her as she soon as she ambles through the kitchen. Holding a plate of freshly cooked parathas.

(Mumma, who will be shopping for me then?)

"Tum bhi saath hi karlo unke." She replied carelessly, settling down beside me. "Aur agar kuch samajh ni aara to face time me."

(Do it with them. If you don't get anything then face time me.)

Maryam clicks her tongue, adding fuel to the fire. Flaring my nostrils at her, I turn to my next target, standing next to her, Pho.

"Pho, mein akele kaisa jaun?" I inquire innocently, swiftly putting on a panicked look.

(Pho, how am I going to go alone?)

"You're not alone! Fahad hai na saath." Maryam snorts at her response.

"Fahad hai, sahi hai. Lekin main girl ki baat karri thi. You know, selection me asaani hoti."

(I meant a girl, you know? So I could get a hand in selection.)

"You're right! Ek kaam karo, take Maryam with you too. Dono apni shopping bhi karlo saath hi."

"What an idea, sir ji!" I smirk at Maryam who was gaping at me open mouthed.

Ha!

"Chalo Maryam, jaldi khao and get ready. Hitler is gonna be here anytime now." She mutters something under her breath, glaring at me.

"Turkey, get a lovely lehenga choli, okay? A bright color. Not necessarily red, but something nice and elegant." I nod at Rehana baji's words.

"I'm not getting anything for Ayra though. Pehle bata deru main sabko. If she pulls any act this time, I swear I won't spare her."