44. Reception and Rishtedaar

"Can you stop messing with it?" I whisper yell at the man sitting beside me on the stage of our Valima

"It's choking me!" Fahad exclaims fidgeting with the bow tie for the hundredth time. "I told you not to make me wear it, Jaana. What would a normal tie have done instead of this dog's belt?"

His hand reached for his collar again, but instead, I grab it and lace our fingers.

"It looks nice, Jaan." I pacify.

"I look like a damn waiter sitting on the stage with the bride on my side." He muttered under his breath, pulling a fake smile at the audience and nodding his head at someone.

"You desis are all the same." I roll my eyes.

"And we are proud. You should be too. You're the wife of a desi, after all." Fahad smirks.

"Meri phuti kismet," I mumble to myself with a sigh.

"What was that?"

"Nothing."

"Meri phuti kismet?" He quirks a brow.

"Why bother to ask when you heard it?" Bouncing his shoulders he chuckles, staring at me with a fierce expression which only meant he would take me by the waist, onto his lap and kiss me as he did before leaving home.

Loud music booms around the area, breaking our chain of thoughts and causing me to turn my head towards the dance floor linked to the stage. Undoubtedly, Maryam stood there all by herself in a light pink half saree. Her dark hair was curled and pinned to the side. As the beats of the song 'Aithey Aa' registered in my mind, I gave an internal groan.

'Chhat tapp ke aavaangi
Tennu phad ke javangi
Tujhpe nazar ab lock ho gayi meri'

Oh, God! Oh, God!

MARYAM, THIS IS NOT THE PART OF THE PLAN! I wanted nothing more than to jump on her and tie her to a chair.

'Kadi te closer aa
Main tere heart nu touch kar laan
Ke jattni peeche nahi hattni
Tu ik din mera hi hona...

Oh Aithey Aa!'

"Umm, jaana?" Fahad glanced my way, silently asking what is going on. In return I press my lips together, using all the strength in me to not give any reaction. Taking a glimpse around, I noticed Imran's tense form, his head lowered towards the ground. Poor guy couldn't even watch it without getting embarrassed! Pho and Uncle's fuming faces come into view next, as they shoot lasers at the unforgiving figure of dancing Maryam.

I felt a concerned gaze on me coming from Rehana baji across the hall, gesturing with a tilt of her head to stop this. Beside me, a puzzled Ayra sat equally confused as everyone else.

"Ayra, hey," Gaining her attention, I motion towards the dance floor. She gulps before giving me a slow nod and getting to her feet. Ready to rescue us from the embarrassment.