Chapter 27

"Paul, can we go visit my dad again?" I spoke suddenly, causing Paul to whip his head away from the TV to look at me, bewildered. "What?"

It had been four days since we'd visited my dad and spoke to Karen, the social worker. We hadn't gotten any news regarding the papers yet, but we weren't worried, since Karen said he wait would be approximately a week or two. Paul would not be going back to America with the boys, since there were only two weeks left until they came back. It would be no use to have him fly back and forth for such a short period of time.

Since Paul was back and chose to stay at the house to keep me company, Rose and Heather had moved back to their own houses, much to the delight of their parents, who were glad to have them back with them.

"Can we go visit my father again?" I repeated,biting my lip. I'd given a lot of thought into the issue, and I was sure of my decision.

I was going to forgive my father.

"You sure? What made you change your mind?" Paul questioned, muting the television.

"I just... I don't really know. I just can't find enough reasons why I shouldn't forgive him. There's more positives than negatives" I explained, looking down at my hands, intertwined nervously together. "I guess you could say I had an epiphany" I looked back up at Paul and grinned. He smiled proudly back at me.

"Well, then that's really noble from you, Abigail" he praised, turning his attention to the television controller in his hands before pressing the power button on it, making the room go quiet. "Did you want to go now?"

I nodded firmly, knowing if I gave myself some time to think about my decision that I'd find some sort of reason to change my train of thought. "Yeah"

"Alright, then. Go get ready, I'll start the car"

-------------------------------------

"How did it go?"

I smiled at Paul as I bent down to sit in the car after I had talked to my dad. My uncle hadn't come in with me. He thought it would be best if I did this on my own- if I sorted things out with him by myself. To my surprise- and my dad's pleasure- it went extremely well.

He was calm, patient, and didn't grow frustrated with me, no matter how many questions I asked. I went more into detail with why he left us, why he didn't bring me and the twins with him, and once I heard him out, it was obvious he was doing the right thing to protect us, even if it meant leaving us with my alcoholic mom.

Our conversation then drifted to me- how I'd been doing, why I dropped out of school, what had changed with the twins. It made me laugh when my dad asked me the most typical thing a protective father would ask: "What the hell do you think you're doing, living in a house full of hormonal teenage boys?"

I calmly explained to him that they'd practically saved me, kept me and the twins together, instead of leaving us to be shipped off to some orphanage, to later be separated. He'd grumbled at me, saying he was uncomfortable with the arrangement, and that he'd have Paul watching us.

It surprised me when he asked about Niall: "Do you date one of those boys? Paul said you and- what's his name again? Nick? - had a... complicated relationship?"

I grimaced at him. No teenage girl really wants to have to explain her relationship with a guy with her dad. "It's Niall" I said, emphasizing the three last letters. I hesitated before giving him the rest of the details about Niall. I mean, he is my dad, but it still doesn't erase the fact that he'd left us, and that I wasn't exactly close with him anymore. It's as if I'd only met him once before now, which makes things a bit awkward, as if I would be spilling all my secrets to a stranger. "But I don't really want to talk about quite yet" I sighed, shaking my head.