Chapter 33

-Abbie-

"Jordyn, stay close to me alright? It's getting dark" I called out to Jordyn, who had been wandering off into the park, and she immediately ran back to my side. "Will the ghosts come out tonight?" She asked me with wide eyes, making me frown. "What? What ghosts? Ghosts don't exist"

"Kevin told us that ghosts come out when it gets dark and that's why we have to sleep at bedtime" Jonathan added from my other side, his grip on my hand tightening. I sighed and looked up at the star-dotted sky. "Well they won't come out today, it's almost summer. They don't come out in summer" I reassured them and they nodded. Jordyn grabbed my hand and we kept walking in silence to Paul's house. I had just brought the twins to meet our dad for the first time and the three of them had instantly clicked.

It had taken a lot of thinking of my part to finally agree to bringing Jordyn and Jonathan to visit my father but I'd ended up agreeing, and I didn't regret it in the least. My dad was so happy, and after just a few minutes the twins had already opened up to him. It was nice to see.

But now, still being about a half-hour walk from the safety of Paul's home and the sun going down fast, I was trying my best not to show the twins how worried I was. I knew I should call Paul from a phone booth with the change I had in my pocket but I was determined to bring them home myself, too stubborn to call the number scribbled on a piece of paper in my pocket for help.

"Abbie, why was Daddy in a cage?" Jonathan brought up suddenly. "Yeah, Is our Daddy a dog?" Jordyn added and I had to hold back the laugh that threatened to bubble from my lips. "No, he's not a dog. Dad just made some bad choices a long time ago and has to spend time in jail, he'll be out of there soon though" I explained and Jordyn nodded. "Will he live with us and Paul?" Jonathan asked.

"I'm not sure, we'll have to wait and see alright? For now we'll have to settle with visits-"

"Abbie!"

My heart started pounding in my throat as I heard a sickly familiar voice call my name. I refused to turn back, choosing to ignore the voice, until I heard it again, this time much closer. "Hey, Abbie, long time no see eh?"

This time I turned around on the spot swiftly to face Kevin, and my eyes narrowed at him when I saw him with three other strangely familiar lads. "What do you want, Kevin?"

"Hey, isn't that the girl who-" one of the lads behind Kevin started, his mouth twisting into an evil smile when he recognized me and my eyes widened when I finally recognized who they were.

They were the guys who'd chased me the night I fought with Kevin.

"Yeah it's her, finally back for some fun" another of the boys said, taking a step towards me before Kevin stopped him with an extended arm. "No. Let me talk to her first" he stepped closer to me with a sickly sweet smile and I stepped back. "There's nothing to talk about" I said harshly, pushing the twins slightly behind me so I was between them and danger.

"Oh, yes there is" Kevin growled, crossing his arms over his chest. "This wasn't how things were supposed to work out"

"I think it was. We're all happy now" I said swiftly, subtly looking around for any place where I could run and hide with the twins but with no luck - we were in the middle of the park. I faintly noticed that it was the park near the band's house. "I'm not" Kevin retorted. "After all my parents did for your two brats, you repay us by taking them without thanking us? That's rude, Abbie"

"What do you mean 'all my parents did for them'? They turned them into little snobs! You changed them in a way that wasn't good for them, taught them to go to sleep because of ghosts-" I hissed, the nerves inside me tightening my stomach in a knot. We have to get out of here-