Chapter 20

A crash woke me up from my sleep. I groaned, slamming my face into my pillow as I patted my night stand, looking for my phone. When I found it, I rolled over so that I was sitting on the edge of the bed. The screen momentarily blinded me as I turned it on and I had to blink a few times to get used to the lighting. When my eyes were adjusted, I noticed two things.

One, I had a text. Two, my countdown app reminded me that it had already been three weeks since the boys were gone. Just 9 to go.

"want to hang out today? i miss you xx" I sighed as I read Kevin's text to me. I really didn't feel like going out today, but it seems like all Kevin wants to do is go out. Whenever I propose a relaxed day at home, he'll say that relaxed days are boring. I decided to wait before answering; I don't have to reply straight away.

I stretched my arms over my head before glancing at the time. 9:16 am. I yawned and stood up from the bed, a shiver running up my spine as my feet touched the cold floor. I slowly made my way down the stairs, hearing Jordyn crying as Heather tried comforting her. "Where do you hurt? Let me see your elbow"

"I want you to do the doctor!" Jordyn protested. "The doctor?" Heather asked, confused. I shook my head, smiling. I rounded the corner of the living room and saw Heather and Jordyn sitting on the ground as Jonathan watched them. "Come here Jordyn, let doctor Abbie take care of that boo-boo" I picked her up in my arms and sat down on the sofa, setting her in my lap.

"Now, where does it hurt?" "Here" she sniffled, pointing her elbow. I took her arm gently in my hand and waved my fingers over it. "Abracadabra, halakazam" I said mysteriously, making Jordyn supress a giggle. "I declare your boo-boo gone!" I said, dropping a kiss on her elbow. She cheered and giggled as she slid off my lap. "It doesn't hurt anymore!" she squealed happily. "Good. Now go play outside with Johnny!" I said, shooing them out the back door. They ran off into the yard, and I turned to Heather's shocked expression.

"Did you seriously just say Abracadra halakazam and she stopped crying?! I've been trying to get her to stop for the past ten minutes!" she said, in awe and wonder. I shrugged, cracking a smile. "Where's Rose?"

"Making breakfast, I think she's making waffles"

We both joined Rose in the kitchen, and sat at the counter while Rose prepared breakfast. When it was ready, I went out to the back to fetch the twins. "Jonathan! Jordyn!" I yelled out the door, expecting them to come running like they usually do. No reply. I yelled out their names again, panicking a bit when I still didn't get an answer.

I walked out the door onto the deck, then down the steps and into the yard. I walked a few paces, looking around. No sign of my brother and sister. My breath caught in my throat as I turned and saw the gate of the fence that lead to the front yard opened. How on Earth did they open that?

I ran to it, frantically yelling their names. I got to the front yard and saw Jonathan, standing on the grass, looking out onto the street. Horrified, I turned just in time to see Jordyn run out into the street after a ball, screaming when she turned her head towards the car approaching her. I screamed too, reaching out for her as if my arm could've stretched all the way across the yard, grabbed her, and pulled her in my arms.

Miraculously, the car screeched to a stop just inches from my sister, who had frozen in the middle of the street. My whole expression dropped when I saw who came out of the car. Mrs Delacourt. She stepped around the car and her eyes widened when she recognized Jordyn. Her head snapped up and she acknowledged Jonathan, standing a few feet from her. Then, she locked eyes with me. I knew I was in trouble.

She grabbed Jordyn by the arm and pulled her back on the lawn, letting go when she ran to Jonathan and hugged him. Then the three of them came over to me and Jordyn threw herself in my arms, crying hysterically. I vaguely noticed that my old neighbor was holding a magazine rolled up in her hand.