Chapter 29

-Abbie-

After bolting out of the music room, I ran upstairs, hoping nobody would see me. I jogged up both flights of stairs and slammed the door to my room before I locked it, sliding down with my back against the door until my bum hit the ground. I clenched my hands into fists, using all my willpower to keep myself from marching back down there and yell at Niall all the thoughts that were bottled up in my head.

How could he believe those rumors? Why didn't he take my word for it? Did he not trust me?

How could I be his girlfriend if he didn't trust me?

I sighed and let my head fall back until it hit the door with a low 'thud', and I let my eyes drift shut. Why is it that right when everything seems good in my life, it goes downhill in a matter of hours? It's as if fate won't let me be happy.

I don't know how long I sat there, just thinking. The more and more I thought, the more it made sense in my head.

I have to get out of here.

Living in this house, here, always being with these 5 boys might be what's making Niall and I fight so much. Like my grade school teacher used to say: "Too much togetherness makes people grow annoyed of each other". This quote seemed to apply perfectly to our situation, even though the boys just came back from a three month trip. If you noticed the times Niall and I mostly fought, it was just before the band left and the day after they got back. We didn't really fight while they were gone, which made it clear in my head that the "too much togetherness" theory was true. Maybe if I got out of here, somehow got my own place and found a new job in a store or something, that things would get better. Niall and I's relationship would be healthier. Maybe some distance would set things straight between us.

I shakily got up and picked up a jumper from the foot of my bed and slid it on. Quietly, I opened the bedroom door and slid out, hoping Niall was still downstairs and I could find Paul quickly. I padded to the kitchen, inching the door opened slowly, mentally swearing at myself when I saw Niall sitting at the table with Zayn and Liam, his back to me. He seemed really upset, running his hands through his hair frustratedly and talking in a hushed voice. He sounded angry.

Liam, however, spotted the door opening and shot me a sympathetic smile. "Hey" he greeted, and Niall and Zayn's heads snapped up to look at me. Niall drew in a shaky breath and turned back around, crossing his arms on the table and dropping his head into it. I ignored it and turned to Liam. "Where's Paul?" I asked quietly.

"Uh, I think he was in the living room, right Zayn?" Liam frowned, turning to Zayn, who shrugged. "I thought he was up in his room." He said, smiling sympathetically at me when he saw the dried tears on my cheeks.

"He's downstairs" Niall mumbled, never lifting his head from the table. I nodded, before remembering he couldn't see me. "Right, thanks" I murmured, silently shutting back the door and rushing downstairs before I bumped into anybody else.

I found Paul sitting downstairs, watching the television. He looked up when he heard me and shut the TV off. "Hey, are you okay? Niall told me-"

"I have to get out of here." I cut him off, and he looked at me with a surprised look. "What do you mean? Want me to drive you anywhere? Just let me get my ke-"

"No, Paul" I interrupted, looking down. "I want to get my own place, or something, I want to find another job and get an apartment." I explained, and his expression was full of shock. "Wh- Abbie, is this because of Niall? Was it because of him believing the rumors? If that's it then I'll talk some sense into him, he knows they're just rumors, he's just making a big deal out of this beca-"