2.

Zia

Zia

"Mom, I won't be far!" I reassured her for the third time today.

She sighed, "I know, but I wasn't expecting my only baby to leave me so early," she replied.

"There's nothing that I want more than to make you and dad proud! I'm trying to be more independent and getting a job to help pay for college is the first step."

My daddy smiled and pulled me into a tight hug, "You are making us proud, princess. You'll always be my little girl, no matter how old you get!" he placed a kiss on my forehead putting a smile on my face.

"I know, daddy. You guys make it seem like I'm leaving the country or something. I'll only up the street!" I reassured them.

A horn that honked outside of my house. I'm assuming that's the James' family driver.

I sighed, "Well this is it," I say with a sigh while grabbing my suitcase.

Mr. James stood outside, leaned back on his car. He's dressed casual today, a black t shirt with a pair of nike sweats and a pair of ones. I didn't think he had it in him, I'm impressed.

"Ready?" he asked me.

I nodded shyly, "Yes sir," I answered.

My mom and dad watched me from the door. I waved to them as I loaded my things into the trunk of Mr. James SUV and pulling off.

This car ride to the James' resident is dreadfully silent. Terrance kept his focus on the road and didn't even attempt to make any kind of conversation with me. The stick up his ass is making it hard to even have no small talk.

"Did I say something to upset or offend you, Mr. James?" I asked, genuinely curious.

He turned to look at me before turning his attention back to the road and chuckling lowly to himself.

"Not at all," he responded.

"So why have you been acting like someone peed in your cheerios ever since I met you yesterday?"

"I suggest you watch the way you talk to me considering I'm the one signing your paycheck!" he snapped.

Just as I was about to say something J regret, I wisely decided against it. Biting my tongue is something that I don't do, but I will just have to learn. Mr. James is a character, but I'm going to figure him out. It's like ever since I met him, he's hated me. Like I plucked a nerve and he can't stand to be around me.

"I'm not a child and I would appreciate it if you didn't talk to me like one," I replied calmly.

"Oh so what?"You think because you're legal, you're an adult?" he scoffed. "Think again. Wait until this world eats your little ass up and you'll see just how grown you really are."

I rolled my eyes and put my headphones in. I refuse to let this man get me out of character, but I'm definitely not about to let him run all over me and talk to me any kind of way either. Especially when I did nothing. I've literally known him for less than two weeks. He's just gonna have to get use to seeing my face.

I heard him mumble something but he turned his attention back to the road and we rode in utter silence the rest of the way.

I sighed in relief when we pulled up to the home five minutes later. I quickly hopped out of the car and went to grab my suitcases out of the trunk.

"Don't worry about it. I'll bring them in for you." he mumbled.

"No, I can do it. I don't to cause you anymore trouble," I said as I smiled sarcastically.

"I said I got it!" he snapped.

I threw my hands up in surrender, "Suit yourself, Mr. James."

When I walked into the house, TJ and Taryn were sitting on the couch watching the tv. They noticed me and rushed over to me in excitement,

"Hi guys!" I greeted them warmly with a big smile.

"Hi Ms Zia. Are you going to be our baby sitter now?" Taryn asked. She's only six and so adorable. She favored Delilah more than Terrance, but you could tell she was his child. TJ favored Terrance but he had Delilah's chocolate skin complexion. They appeared to be your average accomplished and wealthy family.

"Yes ma'am and guess what?!" I exclaimed.

"What is it? What is it!" she asked jumping up and down excitedly.

"I'm going to be living with you so we can play barbies whenever you want!" I told her and she grinned.

"Yay, I'm going to get them right now so we can play!" she said cheerfully before running up the stairs to her room.

"Hey TJ!" I greeted him. He had his attention focused on the tv.

"Hey Ms. Zia! I'm glad you're going to be living with us!" he grinned.

"Me too," I replied with a warm smile.

As if on cue, Terrance came in with my bags and Delilah came trotting down the stairs.

"Hello Zia. I'm so glad that you accepted our offer!" she smiled.

Terrance mumbled something under his breath, but I didn't catch it so I chose to ignore it. I will not let him ruin this opportunity for me. I need to do this so I can get to college. The pay is to good enough not to let him mess this up for me. I'm just going to keep my mouth closed and ignore him as much as I can. As much as my self control will allow me to.

"Thank you so much for this, Ms. James. I'm going to go and get unpacked and settled in if you don't."

"Of course. We usually have dinner around 7 and our chef is coming to prepare something special to welcome you into our home!" she clapped cheerfully.

"Oh wow, you really didn't have to do all of that for me. I'm very grateful nonetheless for this opportunity. I just couldn't pass this up."

Terrance grabbed my suitcases and led me to where I would be living from now on. He led me to a nice sized room. There was a queen sized bed that sat in the center of the room with a black and white marble comforter and decorative pillows to match the bed set. There was a white, wooden desk with a brand new Macbook Pro on it. A carrying case, a cover, and a heating pad also sat beside the box.

My eyes widened and Terrance noticed my reaction to the expensive computer. There's just no way that's for me.

"We noticed you said you were saving up for college so we got you that so you would have one less thing to worry about," he explained vaguely.

I quickly shook my head, "This is too much. I don't think I accept this Mr. James." I replied truthfully.

It's very generous, but too generous.

"It's nothing, Zia. Me and Delilah have more than enough money to spare. Think of it as a thank you gift from us to you."

"Well.. thank you guys so much. This is crazy, I can't thank you enough."

For a second, I thought I saw a smile but I was shot down when I was met with Torrance's poker face once again.

"Well I'll give you your privacy. Dinner is promptly at 7, but we want to go over some things with you so come down thirty minutes early."

I nodded, "Yes sir," and with that he walked out the door and closed the door.

I smiled to myself  because I realized that this is only my first step to independence.

-

Zia in MM.

what do y'all think of Torrance? Could you guys work for someone like that?

COMMENT & VOTE 💫