3.

Zia

Zia

It's been a week and things are going smoothly. Me and Torrance have been avoiding contact with each other and it has been making me a bit uncomfortable, but I just keep reminding myself that I have to do this if I want to go to college.

It's eight in the morning and right now I have to get ready to get the kids ready for school. Delilah leaves for work at six in the morning so it's usually me, the kids, and Torrance in the morning.

After freshening up and getting dressed in my outfit of today; which consisted of a pair of simple blue, distressed boyfriend jeans and a hoodie. I walked into TJ's room and lightly shook him awake.

"Wake up, TJ. It's time to get ready for school," I said softly. Not wanting to alarm him since he was still half sleep.

He rubbed his eyes and groaned in annoyance. "Do I have to go today, Ms. Zia?" he whined.

I giggled, "Yes, but it's Friday! You can deal one more day!" I encouraged him. Then I came up with a good idea.

"How about this? If you and Taryn can survive one more day, I'll take you guys for pizza and ice cream after school if it's okay with your parents!" I offered him and his eyes lit up. I tickled him and he squirmed around laughing contagiously.

"Deal!" he exclaimed.

"Okay, go brush your teeth and wash up while I take Taryn up!" I told him.

I waltzed in Taryn's princess decorated room. I shook her awake and she moved around before looking at me and rolling over to go back to sleep.

"Time for school, princess Taryn!" I sang.

She sighed, "I don't wanna go, Ms ZIa." she complained. I shook my head. Just like her brother.

"I'll make you the same deal I made your brother! If you go to school today ad do good, I'll take you guys for pizza and ice cream later!" I told her.

She smiled, "Okay!"

After making sure that the kids were dressed and had everything ready for school, we went downstairs so they could have some breakfast. When we got down there, Mr. James sat at the dining room table typing away on his laptop. He didn't have on his work clothes like he usually did. I groaned at the possibility of being stuck in this house with him all day. The kids got out of school at 3 so maybe I would go out to the mall today. I was supposed to be getting paid today so we'll see. I had my driver's license, but I haven't had enough money to get a car yet. Hopefully I can save up along with my college fees. Being independent is hard, but I love the feeling.

"Good morning," I greeted him.

He looked at me and chuckled to himself.

"What a fucking asshole!" I thought to myself.

"Good morning, daddy!" TJ and Taryn said in unison.

He smiled, "Goodmorning kids."

I sat a poptart in front of each of them and a cup of milk. They ate the food quickly and I rushed them out the bus stop since we were a little late. Luckily, we made it just in time.

When I got back in, I started my way up the stairs.

"Zia!" he called my name. I froze in my tracks and made my way back into the kitchen.

"Yes?" I asked politely. I was trying my hardest to be polite to his rude ass, but he was making it real difficult for me.

"Here's your week's pay," he said, handing me the check.

I smiled and grabbed the check out of his hand. It read $300 on it and my eyes widened.

"That's the right amount, right?" he questioned.

"Yes thank you! If you don't mind, I'm going out today, but I'll make sure I'm back by the time the kids get out of school. I promised to take them out for pizza and ice cream later if they did good in school today. Only if it's okay with you of course."

He frowned, "You should've asked me first."

"I'm sorry, you're right. I didn't think it would be a big deal," I replied with my head down.

"You're so hardheaded! Someone needs to put your ass in your place!" he snapped.

I frowned. I don't know how Delilah puts up with his evil ass because at the rate he's going, I'm going to end up smacking the shit out of his fine ass. How can a man this beautiful have such an ugly spirit?

"I'd appreciate it if you didn't curse at me because I would hate to say something I regret out of anger," I said with a firm hand on my hip.

He chuckled, "You couldn't hurt my feelings if you tried," he dismissed me rudely.

"You don't know shit about me, Torrance. I said i'm sorry, accept it or don't. I could care less," I retorted.

"You're right, I don't know anything about you and quite frankly, I don't fucking want to!" he spat.

"Well you know what? I don't want to know your evil, arrogant, spiteful ass either! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm leaving!" I say before walking up to my room and grabbing my purse and my cellphone before rushing past an angry Torrance and out of the house.

I could've sworn I heard him mumble something, but I couldn't make up what he said so I chose to ignore it.

For now.

I got back home around one which left me with a little free time before I had to get the kids. Torrance was no longer in sight and I sighed in relief. I grabbed a granola bar from the cabinet and a bottle of gatorade. I decided I wanted to set up my new laptop before the kids got out of school while I had time to do so.

I opened the box and took the laptop out. I admired the computer as I ran my hands over it's smooth, silver matte surface.

"This is crazy!" I mumbled.

"Zia," I heard a voice from behind me. It was Mr. James standing at my door way, dressed in clothes now.

I rolled my eyes before turning around and smiling sarcastically at him.

"What can I do for you, Mr. James?" I asked. Sarcasm dripping from my tone.

He sensed my attitude and cleared his throat. "I just wanted to apologize for my harsh words earlier. I was wrong and I'm sorry. I shouldn't have came at you like that." he said.

I searched his eyes, but his eyes only peered back as if he was staring into my soul. I can't  tell if he's being honest or not. Something about the way his eyes scanned my body, head to toe made me heat up in places I wish I wouldn't.

"It's cool. I'm a big girl and I try not to let words from men like you get to me," I shrugged nonchalantly.

His jaw clenched, "I'm really trying to be sincere, Zia. Can't you see that?"

"And I said I'm a big girl.

Oop, Zia said she grown grown!

Comment and vote!! Y'all been showing mad love, I see y'all and appreciate it🤍