17.

It's two in the morning and sleep is last thing on my mind. I've never been scared of anybody, but I think it's safe to say Torrance James is a dangerous man who terrifies me in ways I never thought possible. I don't feel safe or in control and the only thing I do know is that I need to get out of here before things really spin out of control.

My phone chimed from my night stand indicating I had a text message. I picked it up to see I had a message from Ravon. It read:

Rah: You up?

unfortunately..

I miss you. Just wanted to check on you after I checked your boss from hell!" he teased, trying to lighten my obviously dull mode.

He replied although I think it was in a joking manner. I let out a quiet giggle before thinking about my next reply. This is what drew me to him in the first place. He's so attentive to detail and somehow he always knows just what to say to make me feel better.

After texting for about ten more minutes, I told Rah that I was going to sleep soon since I had a long day. He swiftly sent back a kind goodnight text and left me alone. I got up out of bed and quickly glanced over to assure that my door was locked.

I grabbed my MacBook off the desk and unattached the charger. I waltzed back over to bed and plopped down lazily. I opened up the laptop watching the screen come to life. I squinted my eyes at the bright light. When the google logo popped up on my screen, I clicked my fingers over my keyboard as I carefully deciphered what I'm searching for exactly.

I just need.. something, anything. My gut is telling me there's something out there to tell me why this man is so damn fucked up. No one is that conniving on their own, right?

My eyes lit up as an article popped up on my screen. I clicked the link and there he was; only younger. He definitely aged well because he almost looks the same. There was one thing though that's sticking out to me like a sore thumb. His name.

The name in the article was Liam James, but that was Torrance clear as day. A younger version of him, but that's definitely him. My eyes squinted as I continued to browse the article.

April 18th, 1993

Liam James is to be placed in the Isley Home for the Mentally Ill after judge ruled he is mentally incompetent and needs to undergo further treatment. Local citizens are outraged that the alleged teen murderer got off for the gruesome murder of his father and the town's hero, Terrell James. The local firefighter was murdered in what Liam claimed to be a domestic violence incident that went completely left.

"What the fuck!" I exclaimed quietly as I read on.

It's obvious I have to search up Liam James now because I need to know why the hell he changed his name.

1st article read:

May 1st, 1997

Liam James has been released from Isley Home for the Mental Ill after four long years. Doctors and therapists have deemed him fit to re enter society and they don't believe he will be a flight risk to the public.

2nd and last article read:

September 25, 1998

Liam James is off probation and officially a free man. After being convicted for the murder of his father, somehow, Liam James is free to live his life. He's announced with the blessing of his lawyer and the state that he's leaving the state of Illinois for good to rid himself of painful memories as he called them.

If I'm understanding this correctly then Torrance James doesn't exist. That's not even his real name and right about now I feel like I seen some shit I can't unsee. I'm afraid I won't be able to let it go, to just forget about it.