Lost In Time

The war of 1948

I have no idea where to go, what to do, or how to feel.

We've lost this battle,
4 armies failed to protect us. Israel had more enforcements and experience than we ever thought they could have.

I may have survived death but I don't consider myself the lucky one.

I've been walking for a couple of days without any idea or sense of direction.
The last time I checked I was close to Yafa’s Beach where the battle was, I kept on fighting until I ran out of bullets, my friend told me to escape while I still can but I refused, I kept searching for bullets in order to carry on and help my people, I swore that I would never run no matter what, I either die as a martyr or I live as a victor.

But as the battle came to an end only few of us were left standing, and I couldn't find any sort of
ammunition, my friend told me that a friend of his told him about another ongoing battle in Aka city and we should go there and help them,
After all, there is no point of carrying on with a battle we've already lost, there were only about ten men left against a whole squad that is completely armored not to mention the tanks.

So I agreed with him, and we both left through the back streets. We knew this city like the back of our hands which made it easier for us to escape.

We had only one corner left to escape the danger zone. Unfortunately, that corner was being guarded by four soldiers.

We had to think of something fast to get rid of them.

I turned to my friend and said:
" listen I have an idea and I pray to Allah to make it work"

He gave me a nod to let me carry on.

"We need to distract the one's who’s carrying the big guns in order to survive their bullets, you still have a few shots alongside my shooting skills it should work"

He agreed with me and handed me his gun then he asked:

"How are we supposed to distract them?"
"You will run through this building," I said while pointing at a building in front of us.
"Then you will throw a brick at them and quickly jump from the second floor into the back street, and meet me out of the danger zone"

He took a deep breath, then he straightened himself and tightened his kufeah (Palestinian scarf) around his head to cover it completely, then when the soldiers weren't looking I gave him the sign and he ran like a horse to the building, seconds later he threw the bricks.
the soldiers noticed it, and two of them went after him, I hope he made it out, cause two of them went into the building and one went to check the back street,
the one who was left in the corner I took a few steps closer and shot him, I thought about checking to see if my friend has made it out but I had no time to waste so I ran out as fast as I can.
I was growing worried, my friend hasn't shown yet I walked for almost a kilometer, then I noticed someone hiding between the trees I carefully came closer with my hand holding my gun,
When I realized it was my friend I was relieved.

"Man you scared me are you alright?"
He gave me a weak smile, then I noticed that he was holding his side!
I panicked and knelt beside him to check out his injury.

"How did this happen did they get you?"
He looked up still smiling despite the pain then he said " I jumped as you told me to, they didn't see me but one of them took a random shot toward my direction and it hit the back of left side".
The next city was a kilometer away, a day or two on foot, he kept telling me to leave him and it was better this way.

How could I leave him knowing that it was my responsibility that he got injured!
I should have thought of a better plan for him.
I carried him on my back and walked, I kept talking to him to make sure he was still awake.

Until I asked him about his father and he did not answer me, I felt worried and put him down to check on him, he opened his eyes and said to me

" Salem, please promise me you will find my parents and my wife and assure them that I died as a Shaheed (martyr), and could you please ask them to forgive me for not being able to say goodbye to them"

I couldn't answer him, so I nod my head as my tears started to flow, his soul at last, got separated from his body and he fell in peace.

I buried him under that tree, I felt broken inside that I couldn’t do anything, I'm lost inside and outside!
but one thing I'm sure of is that I will stay alive to deliver Hashem's message for his family.

It's true that I couldn't save him so the least thing I could do is to do this for him.