Chapter 3

Lisa Manoban had an unhappy childhood. It wasn't entirely bad at least not until she turned 10 and that's when everything went downhill. The comfort of her home turned into some kind of battlefield between her parents while the young Lisa hid inside her room, eyes filled with tears as she covered her ears with a pair of her mother's headphones. To summarize everything, on top of all the other underlying issues, Lisa's father cheated on her mother, Chitthip Manoban, a doctor, and needless to say, their marriage was bound to fall apart leaving the young Lisa to painfully decide between her parents. In the end, she chose to live with her grandmother. It was the safer choice at that time. Her mother had turned her frustrations to work while her father eventually left the house to be with his woman. It was like they forgot they even had a daughter.

Fortunately, living with her grandmother had been pleasant, she was a funny lady who loved teaching her about the stars or the fascinating northern lights and made the best homemade cookies Lisa loved. That was the happiest childhood memory Lisa had. If only her grandmother hadn't been diagnosed with cancer two years later maybe she'd have more happy memories.

But at 12 years old, Lisa stood in front of her grandmother's grave, hugging her photograph while crying her heart out. At that time, she only had one person left to turn to and that was her best friend, Park Chaeyoung or Rosé who stood by her side as she grieved. Rosé was the only reason Lisa chose to stay with her father who lived in Australia instead of her mother who still lives back in Thailand. Rosé was like a sister to Lisa and was the only person she considers as family. They met when Lisa moved in with her grandmother.

The Parks, Rosé, and her mother, Clare, lived next door and despite Lisa's introverted nature, Rosé's crazy and adventurous antics, roof climbing in complete military gear in order to shoot water guns on unsuspecting people, alien and supernatural fascination, etc. had somehow brought them closer. So, having to part with her best friend wasn't ever going to happen in Lisa's book.

Lisa's teenage years weren't good either. Other than the fact that her stepmother hates her, Lisa also had bullies to deal with. The then 14-year-old Lisa had to suffer being shoved down the ground, being locked in the bathroom for hours, being picked on for her appearance, and had her clothes drenched with juices multiple times all because she wasn't the typical target. Lisa Manoban always fights back. And for every time she becomes the object of such oppression, only Rosé would always come charging at the laughing monkeys, as she likes to call them and use her long legs to kick them to oblivion. Of course, being best of friends Lisa would naturally dive in to join Rosé and punch the first person her knuckles find.

Well, as everyone who has ever gone through high school knows, fighting in school grounds for whatever reason doesn't end well for both parties and so they'd both end up in the principal's office afterward but that's bearable. What wasn't was her father's unjust punishments once the news reaches him, her phone and laptop taken away instantly. Fortunately, Lisa had her music and that was all she really needed.

By the time Lisa turned 16 she ran away from home. Although to be honest it really wasn't considered running away if Rosé's home was the place she was running off to. If anything, her best friend's place felt more like home to her than her father's house. It happened on Christmas Eve and her stepmother's offensive comment about her mother in front of their relatives was enough for Lisa to get out of there, but not before throwing back an insult. She never went back. Her father despised having a bisexual daughter anyway as he made that clear when he slapped her upon learning that his daughter was dating another girl.

Moving on.

College was something the 18-year-old Lisa looked forward to more than anything. It was her chance to finally be a step closer to getting away from the hellish life she was currently in. Having reconnected with her mother, things were slowly turning for the better. She and Rosé were finally moving to Korea to attend college at the same university, a plan that has long been talked about. Nonetheless, the experience was fun and Lisa was enjoying college life. It was all good for a year until she found Rosé crying in the bathroom, her phone in her hand.