Chapter 19

"Mommy?"

Jennie rubs her eyes as she wakes up in her bed, carrying her favorite teddy bear as she slowly crawls out of her blanket. Putting on her cotton kitten slippers, she walks to the hallway and heard a noise coming from the other room. Trudging to her parent's master bedroom she peeks in to see a couple of people surrounding her mother as IU herself sits in front of the mirror. Her mother was being glammed up, a sight she is so familiar with. It was like a morning routine already.

"Cupcake," she hears her father's voice as he walks in, fixing his cuff links before kneeling down to face her. "Today's your day which means you can do anything you want and ask for anything you like, princess," her father says as he walks her towards where her mother was sitting. With her stylist finishing her hair into a classy do, she stands up and faces them.

"You should go down and eat your breakfast now, Jennie. We have lots to do later and you need to look fabulous when blowing your birthday candles," she says while gently touching her head and planting a kiss before turning to her organizer.

"I want everything perfect. Are the balloons already here?" she asks as her assistant holds her phone call for a moment to tell her that they are coming.

"Well, tell them they are late! We should have everything set up before lunch. God!" she lets out in exasperation as Jennie's father gives her a look that tells her to calm down. "Also," this time she turns to one of her assistants. "Have Jennie 's dress ready, please," she orders as her assistants rush around to do everything she says.

Her father brings her downstairs to their wide dining room but no sooner was she seated in her chair when her father's phone starts to ring. Left with her nanny, she watches as her father talks about another film he has to work on. In short, Jennie spends another breakfast alone, eating her favorite cereal with her teddy bear, Nini. It's normal but soon, years from now, she'll find out that having a meal alone is something she'll detest.

But for now, in a few hours, she finds herself in her ocean blue dress, sparkling shoes and a custom made a tiara, the one with real diamonds because IU doesn't settle for less when it comes to her only daughter, also because she is preparing for the future when she'll have to send throwback childhood photos on TV interviews that will make everyone gush at cute Jennie.

"Ready, Princess?" Jennie looks up at her father with a smile as she takes his hand and they make their way downstairs to where the waiting guests. Her mother had indeed made sure everything went well. From the royal princess theme down to the last detail of the five layers of castle birthday cake with the number 8 placed in the center.

Of course, all of Jennie's classmates and playmates are in attendance. It's already certain that her birthday party will be the talk of the whole school tomorrow. As for the sweet little celebrant, her smile can't go any wider as she played games, watched magicians perform, and got to open gifts that were piled up even higher than her birthday cake. But among all those gifts, the one her parents gave her outshines them all because if people think that IU is the one who spoils Jennie the most then they were clearly mistaken because Jennie is after all daddy's little girl thus, the extravagant gift, a treehouse. It's not just any treehouse, it's probably the most sophisticated one out there, also the most expensive. Located in their backyard, the expensive treehouse could easily beat any middle-class apartment. It has electricity, the most comfortable cushions, oversized pillows, a fireplace, a mini-fridge, toys, basically all of Jennie's favorites, television, and a sound system. It was her father's secret project for almost a year, all of it just to make his daughter happy.

As for the eight-year-old, today was her favorite day as she gets to spend it with family, friends and has lots of fun.

But then after a couple of hours, soon the house will be empty and Jennie is yet again left eating dinner by herself while her parents attend another event.