Chapter 16

2 years ago

"Jennie! There you are," Mino's shouts in relief as soon as Jennie steps out in the restroom but her focus isn't entirely there as she looks around at the hallway filled with staff hurriedly running around to get work done.

"You almost gave everyone a heart attack. You'll be up in about an hour so please stop disappearing-" Mino doesn't get to finish his sentence as Jennie moves to walk past him, hand gripping a black and pink bandana while her eyes keep searching.

"Jennie! What the hell?" Mino questions from behind, her manager trying to keep up with her hurried strides only to almost bump into her when she suddenly stops. It was only when she was a few steps away from walking out backstage and into the crowd that her manager got hold of her. His grip, however, doesn't stop Jennie from peeking out of the door.

"Did you see the girl who walked out of the restroom before I did?" she finally asks, ignoring the curious looks the staff were throwing her way while Mino,  trying to recall if he did.

"She's taller than me with bangs and small face, she looks like a doll, uh, pink and glittery—no, silvery I think! Yes, right, she had this tight mini-dress like those girls on... Formula One!" Jennie says anxiously like she's finally got the answer to one of those chemistry problems in high school as Mino's frown deepens.

"She was wearing a cap wait, I think it's a visor. Anyways, she had a sparkling star painted on her eye!" Jennie says, pausing to remember if it was on the left or the right. Figuring that she doesn't have the specific details, Jennie just decides to continue. "The point is, I really, really need to see her," Jennie pleads, looking at Mino and her manager finally nods.

"Alright, how about you go back to the waiting room and I have some people find this... this mysterious pink barbie Formula One bangs, a girl with stars in her eyes—"

"No, just one! One star on the left side?" Jennie quickly corrects him in frustration as Mino nods again, raising up his hands in apology.

"Okay, one star, got it," he repeats before taking both her hands, and this time he is the one pleading. "I'll find her, wrap her up in gift wrapper and send her to you," Mino assures her and before Jennie could say anything else she is ushered back to her room where surprisingly, Jisoo is waiting.

"Jennie! Where've you been? God, the traffic was just killing me," Jisoo says as she places down her bag and a cup of Jennie's favorite frappe on the table, her iPad in one hand.

"I don't know. Getting dumped in the restroom, maybe?" Jennie suggests tiredly before dropping down at the make-up chair where her hair and make-up team quickly get to work. She could see Jisoo look up from her iPad, her face falling into shock.

"What?! Kai?" Jisoo asks, giving her a look of concern and Jennie instinctively grips the pink bandana tighter.

"I don't want to talk about it," she says softly with a sigh, forcing down another batch of tears that are threatening to fall.

"Stop," Jisoo suddenly said as she walks in front of Jennie, waving her hand dismissively at the idol's stylists. "Give us a minute, please," she says as Jennie's team hurriedly leaves them.

"Hey," Jisoo's tone softens as Jennie looks at anywhere but her friend. "Jennie, do you want to cancel?" Jisoo slowly asks, putting a comforting hand over her arm.

Jennie's fingers fidget around, tapping on the arm of the chair and scratching on her forehead as she weighs in on the question, her vision getting blurry. Jisoo crouches down to her level before wrapping her arms around her. The minute Jennie gets engulfed in the embrace only then her tears start to fall, sobbing as she holds on to her friend tightly.