Chapter 5

Hi everyone, here's chapter 5 for your (hopefully) enjoyment! Things start to move along in this chapter. Happy reading! <3

****

Finally we’re here!

Well we’re sort of here. Ok we’re not actually IN Spain, we’re in London but that’s just as exciting! Oh alright, when I say we’re in London, we’re still on the plane. That still counts as ‘being here’ doesn’t it? It means we’re not flying anymore and we’re actually on the ground. Well the wheels of the plane are on the ground at least, not us and the plane is just taxiing around the runway. Still you get the gist!

The taxiing is taking forever though! Why does it take so long just to stop the plane?

We took forever to land as well. We were flying round and round Heathrow for what felt like hours. Apparently there was some congestion at the airport which was quite typical for London, so I heard. Now the taxiing is taking just as long. All I want is to get off the plane and be on firm ground, even if it is just for a while.

I notice the seatbelt sign go off and jump out of my seat as quickly as I’m able. Nancy stands up at the same time and we look at each other and start giggling. We’re both delirious and overexcited at the upcoming holiday. From the corner of my eye I can see Sam shaking his head in despair which just sets me off giggling even more. He probably doesn’t realise what Nancy and I are capable of when we’re together.

“So what’s the plan from here?” I ask Nancy once we stop giggling.

“I want to meet Mum and Dad at arrivals so I can say a quick goodbye. Then we head to departures for our flight to Spain.”

I can’t help but groan. “Oh god I’m so over flying!”

Nancy gives me that look again, the ‘I can’t believe you just said that’ look.

“You did not just say that.” Nancy says, practically repeating my thoughts. “You have six weeks of travel on various kinds of transports, you had better get used to it.”

I shudder. “I just wish I knew it would be like this.”

“It’ll get better.” The flight attendants gesture to us that it’s time to disembark. “Oh that’s us! This is why I love first class, Em. We get to disembark first! Isn’t that so exciting?”

I nod then say, “Is that the only thing that’s exciting about first class? I would think the food would be pretty high up on the list followed with the service. It’s pretty good being waited on hand and foot.”

Nancy gives me ‘the look’ again. “You really are jetlagged aren’t you?”

“Huh? Why do you say that?”

“I wasn’t saying disembarking first was the most exciting thing, I was just saying that it’s exciting.”

“Oh.” I trail off and shake my head. I still feel all fuzzy from being up in the air. “Well either way it’s all pretty good.”

Nancy shakes her head and slaps my arm. “My God, Em, you’re a mess when you’re out of your comfort zone.”

I fold my arms across my chest. “What do you mean?”

“All I mean is you were always the bright one in school but one long distance flight and you’re brain becomes mush.”

I shrug. “I just need to get used to this travelling thing.”

Nancy walks off then Sam takes my hand and we follow. I’m only dressed in shorts and a tee as it was quite warm when we left Australia. Of course at the time I didn’t stop to think of where our first stop would be. I had forgotten we had to stop off at London before going to Madrid. I just thought we’d go straight to Madrid which will be warm. Won’t it? I mean it’s Spain, isn’t Spain always warm? I guess I’ll find out.