Chapter 18

Here's the next chapter! Enjoy <3

****

It’s been nearly three weeks since we were in Zurich. I’ve recovered from the incident with Sam and I don’t hate him. I understand it more now. After all I did do the unforgiveable. I also know that Nancy was right, I don’t know all the facts so there’s probably more to it than I realise. I’m still not ready to talk about it though, not yet. When Sam’s ready we’ll talk but only then.

I still giggle every time I think of Benoît. He barely spoke to us for the rest of the time in Zurich, I think we really offended him.

After that we went to Paris, Berlin, Prague and Vienna where we spent three days at each place. Our last stop was Athens and we spent five days there. All of the above places were amazing and I’ve had a great time but I feel so empty without Sam. As a result I can’t enthuse about it, I’m just too darn miserable.

I’ve got to give Jason points for persistence. He’s tried so many times to talk to me, to tell me how ‘easy’ it is to resolve, but I can’t bear to listen. Yes I’m aware I’m being difficult but I’m not ready to hear what he has to say.

Well off that depressing topic, the advantage is when we arrived in Paris, we got an English tour guide named Vince. He stayed with us right up until we left Athens where he then stayed behind for another tour. I have to admit, he was probably the best tour guide thus far. Ok so we only had two before him but they were both duds. Let’s say that Vince was nothing like the other two. He was far from handsome like Archi was but he wasn’t as horrible as Benoît either.

Vince was a bulky guy, pure muscle, with a shaved head, lots of tattoos and missing teeth. I remember just after we met him, we were on the bus and I whispered to Nancy that he should have been a bikie. Unfortunately I said it a bit too loud and he overheard me. Thankfully he just laughed it off good naturedly then admitted that he once was. This intrigued everyone so rather than giving us a history lesson while Jason drove us to the hotel, he told us his story as a bikie.

Vince, in both personality and looks, was just right. He was just an ordinary guy who had a love of travelling and history. He was an instant favourite among everyone and it made our last few weeks of travelling that much more enjoyable. When we said goodbye at the airport in Athens, we were all quite teary. He had become somewhat of a friend to us.

Now we’re in Venice and we have a new tour guide. His name is Lorenzo and he is Italian through and through. Most people I know often refer to Italian males as handsome romancers but Lorenzo missed out somewhere. He’s not much to look at, poor guy. He’s short, about five feet nothing, with light olive skin, short dark hair and he’s quite podgy. He’s certainly nice enough though and he’s nothing like Archi or Benoît. Plus he has a genuine love for Italy. Unfortunately we were spoilt with Vince and now we all have high expectations.

I haven’t long arrived at my hotel room and I’m unpacking. Venice is amazing and I’m itching to get out and explore but I today won’t be the day I’m afraid. I’m really not in exploring mood which isn’t helped by the fact that I would love to explore with Sam. But I can’t, can I? I suppose it’s my punishment.

Then again, if Sam decides to talk to me then I’m not going to stop him but it will be his choice. Until then I will continue to accept this heartache as punishment. I lost his trust, the one thing I didn’t want to do, so I have to expect the wounds will take a while to heal.

This gets me thinking on the last few weeks. I’ve noticed something quite unusual. You see, there have been moments while we’ve been out in a group that I’ve noticed Sam looking in my direction. He would always give me a half smile and he even got a look that said he wanted to talk. I could see he wanted to but he never made a move because Graham always arrived out of thin air and take Sam’s attention. A couple of times Sam even started walking toward me but of course, Graham appeared.