Chapter 24

Hi everyone, first and foremost I am so very sorry for the delay. I hope this chapter makes up for it. <3

****

Reality is a bitch.

I’ve come to realise that it doesn’t care about anyone, all it cares about is itself. Right now it’s staring me in the face, taunting me, laughing at me because it knows I can’t do a damned thing about it.

As I hold the one person who has been my friend from the beginning, for what may be the last time, all I want to do is run away and cry my pain away.

Our holiday has ended.

Our last few days in Rome were amazing. Having Sam by my side, as my husband, was the most thrilling experience ever. I swear it made it even more enjoyable. We haven’t told anyone at home about us, deciding to wait until we returned.

When we arrived in London, the rest of the group split up and we all said goodbye. It was a sad parting because we had all become close. I never thought I would make close friends out of a group of oldies but they were very special people. Well, excluding Graham perhaps. Then again, he did show a lot of improvement in the last week or so.

Take for example the day we arrived in London. He came up to Sam and me, offered an apology for his behaviour and wished us well. Considering he isn’t one to apologise, it showed his genuineness. Ok so the apology was brusque and to the point but that’s just how Graham is. Sam and I both knew his apology was real. I don’t think he and Sam will ever be close, they may never have contact again, but they didn’t leave on bad terms.

Nancy and Jason’s relationship is very serious and I know they’re going to last. Jason announced just recently that he would be staying in London with her. I’m so relieved that she’ll have someone with her. The best part is I know they’ve discussed getting married it’s a matter of when. I know they’re not Sam and I so it won’t be any time soon. Besides, Nancy is into the whole big wedding thing, one thing we don’t have in common.

We did tell Nancy’s parents about Sam and me and they were beyond ecstatic, especially Mrs Jones. Oh how she has changed.

I have always feared Mrs Jones, even more so after that drunken night with Nancy. So to say I was hesitant about telling her is an understatement. We told her the day we arrived in London and you can imagine my surprise when she was almost even more excited than Nancy. I’ve concluded that getting back together with her husband has helped her mellow. I think also, realising Nancy is an adult helps too.

Her reaction has given me hope that maybe my family won’t freak as much as I fear. Then again, both families are very different. The new and improved Mr and Mrs Jones, as I like to call them, now take these sorts of things with a pinch of salt. My family, not so much. They are renowned for making a fuss when things don’t go how they want. Especially Mum. Because of that, I swore Mr and Mrs Jones to secrecy and I know I can trust them. That’s one advantage of being so far away. One doesn’t think to pick up the phone to make a long distance call.

Despite knowing that Jason will be staying on, Nancy’s transition to life in London hasn’t been an easy one. She’s happy with Jason but she’s not happy in London. For our last four days of holidays, we left Jason and Sam to their own devices so Nancy and I could be together. While we had a lot of fun, we both had heavy hearts which meant we didn’t have as much fun as we could have had.

Now the dreaded time has come.

We’re at the airport, holding each other for dear life, both of us too afraid to let go. In the background I am vaguely aware of Jason and Sam standing awkwardly, having no idea how to console two emotional teenagers. All I can think about is Nancy and I, and our dreaded goodbye.