Chapter 6b

Ok here is the last part of chapter 6. Sorry for the kerfuffle - it's only this chapter I've had trouble with. Enjoy!

***

My thoughts stop dead in their tracks at the sound of Sam’s voice. Did he just say Dad? I don’t know anything about his parents so this is a real shock. Why haven’t we spoken about them? Now that I think about it, I have no idea why. I’ve never really thought to ask as the topic never came up. I probably should have, we know everything else about each other. It’s strange that his family was never mentioned.

Suddenly it dawns on me. I remember one time not long after school ended, I asked him about his family and he went all cold and moody on me. I didn’t want to make him angry so I didn’t persist but that was the one and only time I mentioned it. Well it looks as though I’ll be finding out very soon.

I look from Sam to his father and can’t help but shake my head in disbelief. Apart from the age gap, they could have been brothers, they look so similar. I instantly see where Sam got his nose from. In a strange way it suits his father too. He also has thick greying hair, hazel eyes and the same smile as Sam’s. So if his father is here, where is his mother? I have so many questions now!

Looking at Nancy I see she has caught on to the situation. She mouths ‘what’s going on?’ to me and I just shrug.

“Hello son.” Sam’s father says with a tight smile. “How are you?”

Wait, did they just shake hands? I mean I know men are all macho and stuff and don’t like to hug or kiss other men but this is a family situation. Surely you do the whole manly hug thing and slap each other on the back? Not in this case, there is definite tension between them.

“Fine.” Sam replies. His jaw is clenched, yet another sign of anger. “What are you doing here?”

“Can’t an old fella go on a holiday?”

Sam visibly flinches. “I never said that, you were just never the holiday type. That’s all.”

“Well you ain’t seen me in a long time, have you? What do you know?”

Ouch! The tension is suddenly so thick I can cut it with a knife.

“Where’s Mildred?” Sam asks, ignoring the last comment.

Ah so his father ran off with another woman? Well that explains a lot.

Sam’s father clears his throat and waves a dismissive hand. “We split up a few months ago.”

Ok this is getting awkward now. Either Sam should introduce me so we can change the topic or we should just move away. I decide to clear my throat as tactfully as possible.

“Errrrm -”

Crap! That sounds like I’m about to cough up a fur ball! The two men look at me and I smile awkwardly. Yes it gets their attention but it isn’t the way I had meant to do it. I could have been a little more graceful.

“Who’s this then, eh?” Sam’s father demands, pointing a bony finger at me.

God he’s really rude.

“Uh -” Sam trails off and scratches the back of his head.

My stomach drops and it feels as though my heart is breaking. He’s embarrassed of me, isn’t he? I’m not that terrible am I? I know I’m young, I know I’m plain and awkward and a teenager but… oh god I can feel my eyes watering and my chest is tightening. Great not now! No, no, no, no, no I can’t cry!

Hold it Emily, do not cry!

Taking a deep breath I force a smile and hold out a hand to Sam’s father.

“Emily Reichelt, I’m just a friend.” I say even though it breaks my heart.

Looking out the corner of my eye I catch Sam’s expression and the first thing I notice is the way he cringes. I’m right, he’s embarrassed of me! Ok fine, I’m not going to make a scene so I’ll just play along with it. I’ll be doing Sam a favour after all. Just wait until we get to our room, I’m so going to tell him exactly how I feel.

Determined not to show how hurt I am, I look back to his father who has taken my hand by this point and is shaking it.

“I was booked on this tour with my friend.” I continue gesturing to Nancy who is standing next to me in a stunned silence. “It was just coincidence that Sam was on the same one.”

From the corner of my eye I can see Nancy’s shocked expression and that’s not helping the way I feel right now. My whole body is shaking and I just want to go and hide away. How can Sam do this to me?

****

Please don't hurt me! ;) It was time for a little plot twist. It's time to touch on Sam's life for a bit. What do you think the problem is?

Thanks for your support thus far, please keep it coming! You're all wonderful :D