Chapter 25

Here's the latest chapter. <3

****

I'm not sure how I feel about being home. My emotions are all over the place. I miss Europe and the sights. I miss the tour group. Most of all, I miss Nancy. At the same time it's good to be back. I'm looking forward to being around familiar surrounds again. I'm looking forward to starting my new life with Sam. I suppose all these mixed feelings will pass in time. I just need to adapt to not having Nancy around. It's only been a few hours so I can’t expect to adapt immediately.

We've landed and are waiting for our luggage. I feel weak and unable to support myself. I think it’s a combination of jetlag and exhaustion. Sam is holding me close to support me.

Despite the comfort of being in his arms, all I want to do is cry, sleep and lose my temper all at once. It’s going to take a long while to face reality again.

"Here's our luggage." Sam announces a few moments later.

I glance at the carousel and spot my backpack. I step forward to grab it but suddenly my head spins & I lose my balance entirely. Falling backwards, I realise I have nothing to hold on to. I’m thankful when Sam comes to my aid and catches me. Whoa that was weird. Jet lag is like a drug!

Sam's concerned face stares down at me. "Are you ok?"

He steadies me but my balance is totally skewwhiff. After a couple of failed attempts I finally manage to stand on my own again. Really? What's with the jelly legs? Perhaps I should stop travelling; I don’t seem to be good at it.

"Fine!" I lie, feeling rattled. "Just a little dizzy." Looking at the carousel I groan as I see our bags disappear again. "We missed them, I’m sorry."

"It's fine, they'll come back around." He looks at me again. "Seriously Em, are you ok?"

"I'm fine. I've probably been sitting down too long?"

Ok that was lame. We’ve been standing for at least half an hour now. Sam is looking at me like I’ve lost my marbles and it’s obvious he doesn't believe me.

"Emily?"

Oh god, he's using his teacher voice on me! I hate it when he does that.

"I just felt dizzy, that's all. I lost my balance. It’s probably just jet lag."

He doesn't look convinced but this time he nods. "Just take it easy. We'll head home soon." He looks at the carousel again. "Here they are again. You stay here, I'll grab them."

When we finally have our bags, we make our way through passport control. We still manage to beat everyone else so we get out quickly.

On our flight back, Sam and I discussed how we would break the news about us. We agreed to wait a few days. It would give us time to get over our jetlag and talk about our travels. It will be easier to announce it when the hype has died down. So before the plane landed I did the one thing I hoped I would never have to do. I removed my rings. Looking at my bare finger, I sigh. I’ve only worn them for just over a week and they already feel a part of me.

We walk into the arrivals terminal and I spot Simon at the front of the crowd. I’m instantly reminded of how much I’ve missed him and for a split second, I forget about how much I miss Nancy. I’m just so happy to see him again.

“Simon!” I call out.

He hears his name and looks around expectantly. Upon noticing me, his face lights up and he waves at me with a big grin on his face. Leaving Sam behind, I run up to him and jump into his arms.