/41./

EVA

I sat quietly, waiting to know what was going to happen to me next. We've been sitting down here for hours and got nothing. Sean was fussing and cursing while I continued to sit in my spot in silence.

My mind was on Rick.

I wanted to talk to him again. At least one last time before they make a final decision. I wanted him to know that what was between us was not a lie. I really do love him and I want to be with him. But I knew now that it was far from being possible again.

He feels as if I betrayed him and I did in a way. I never told him who I really was or what I do for a living. My cover for being amongst one of the maids in one of the dangerous Mafia's.

Sighing, I ran my fingers through my hair.

"This is your fault." He murmurs.

I said nothing. Maybe it is my fault for taking on a case and getting my heart involved.

"When we get out of here, I'll make sure you're never hired again."

I shrug. "You can say all the things you want to me, Sean, but I don't care about anything anymore. I'm prepared for anything to come."

Just as he went to say something more, the door opened revealing Rick then Carter. I stood tall and pat myself down quickly. Carter walked closer to the cell I was in and stared at me for a long moment.

"I've done my research on you, Eva. As much as I hate what I'm about to do next, I need you to heed my warning. Don't ever come back. Don't get into contact with no one on this side. Tiana included."

Rick walked closer to me and unlocked the cell. He didn't look at me. I turned my attention to Carter.

"Rick is included."

"Can I have a moment with hi-"

"Just go, Eva."

My eyes met Rick's piercing gaze. His facial expression was hard and his muscles looked more tense.

"Please..."

I can't leave him like this. I don't want him to hate me or remember me as a trader. As someone who broke his heart.

Carter stood back silent while Sean watched. Rick continues to glare down at me. He says nothing.

"I never betrayed your heart. I love you and I don't want to leave with you hating me."

His facial expression remains the same.

"Are you done?" He asks agitatedly.

Frowning, I shook my head. "No, I want us to be together."

"Get out." He says harshly causing my heart to crack even more.

"But-"

"Get. The. Fuck. Out."

I stared him as if he was a new person. He never talked like this. Never used his lethal tone with me. I inhaled sharply, stepping out of the cell and rounding him.

"I'm free to go?" I question

"As long as it's far from here and my other housings."

With sadness all over my face, I walked past them and up the stairs. I paused, looking back at Rick to find him glaring forward with his back facing me.

Tears built in my eyes and I walked up the stairs and out the door.

TIANA

I walked down the small hall with my princess in my arms. She was playing with the dangling necklace. She was reaching three months and she was becoming more aware. She loved to grab what ever dangles in front of her. My hair is her favorite. Fighting her to let go is never easy.

When I turned the corner, I paused when a saw a guard leading Eva to the exit.

"Stop." I said loud enough for them both to hear.

"I want to talk to Eva."

The guard sighs. "Boss specifically told me-"

"Well, I am telling you to wait." My tone firm as I glared at the guard.

Sometimes it's frustrating that I have this Queen title but I am second guess. I know I haven't been in this family of guards, spies, snippets, and etc. long but my voice counts too.

Unless Carter said otherwise.

Sighing, I shifted my babygirl in my arms. "I just need to talk to her alone for a moment."

The guard was hesitant but he left us but stayed close.

I looked at Eva and found her looking down at the floor.

"Eva, are you alright?"

Silence hovered for a few seconds then shaky cries. She cupped her mouth, trying to muffle her sobs but it was no use.

"I-I'm sorry, Queen." She cried.

Without hesitation, I hugged her the best I could.

I have known Eva for a while now and over the time, we became friends. I didn't want anything to happen to her.

"It's alright."

She pulled away, sniffing while shaking her head. "It's not alright. I betrayed your trust."

"No, you didn't. I understand that you were doing an assigned job but you became attached."

"I shouldn't feel like this because no emotions was suppose to be involved but....everything changed."

"Carter has let you go?"

"Yes."

"And Rick?"

Fresh tears built. "He doesn't want anything to do with me."

"Oh Eva,"

"He hates me. He can barely look at me." She wiped at the tears that seem to be falling faster.

"He doesn't hate you, Eva. You guys are just going through a rough patch. You can get through it. Remember what you told me when I found out Carter was married? You and Rick gave me encouraging words and I listened."

A low sound escaped. Shaking her head sadly. "I remember but this is different. I will no longer be able to talk to him or anyone else here. If I do so, there will be major consequences and I may not get another chance."

"Carter's order?"

She nods.

I shifted Cariana once more and reached for my phone. Eva watched me and I pulled up my number.

"I want you to memorize this number, okay?"

"But the Boss-"

"Can't control everything I do. I promise you that. You are my friend, Eva. Nothing will happen to you. I guarantee that."

"Thank you so much."

I hugged her once again and the guard stepped near indicating that he still had a job to do. I give her a positive look and nod. She smiles sadly, looking down at Cariana one last time before following the guy out.

I sighed, leaning down to kiss my daughter on her small head and continued strolling around.

___________
Thoughts?

Sad to say but this will be the last we hear of Eva throughout the remainder of this book.

But she WILL be back ;)