/54./

CAMILLE

Pain.

Bright light is all I see when I fight to open my eyes. My ears are bothered by the constant beeping. I struggle to keep my eyes open as I groan in exhaustion and allow pure light to almost make me blind.

I scan my surroundings while moving my pounding head slowly. I struggled to sit up while gritting my teeth. I am overly worn out and my body is sore. I winced as I let out a breath, leaning up against the uncomfortably soft pillows behind me.

Given the discomfort, I could hardly tell that I had an IV in my arm.

Then the recollections of being beaten by my father's henchman Brian come flooding back.

I should have put up a better fight, but I was weak. The same weakness consumed me when I fell for Ace.

I never wanted to see that man again. He's a traitor who ripped my heart out of my chest. And the woman from his past who was somehow connected with my father.

The worry that consumes me is unsettling when I think back to my niece and Tiana.

Where are they?

How did I end up here?

I pulled back from my thoughts just as the doors opened, revealing the person I least expected to see.

"Mom?"

"Oh Cam," her voice cracks as she sets the flowers in her hands on the nearest counter before rushing over to me with tears in her eyes. "I-I was so worried."

She leans over me, carefully cupping my face and kissing the top of my head. The sight of my mother makes my eyes water.

"I'm so glad you're alright, baby," she says, pulling away slightly.

"Carianna and Tiana?"

"They are fine and safe with Carter. He will come to see you later today." She smiles softly, the sadness behind her clear.

Something heavy was on her mind.

"Something happened?" My brows furrowed. "Did the Cartron escape?"

He just won't quit.

"No." My mother's eyes closed shut. "Your brother took care of him."

There was no need to question what she exactly meant by Carter taking care of the problem. The look in her eye is confirmation that he killed him.

"He must be relieved," I murmured. I was, and I didn't feel bad for the sorry bastard who put us through so much. Hell, he even tried to kill Tiana and take Cariana for his own gain.

"Yes and no," My mother sighs. "But let's not talk about this right now. Focus on healing," she says softly, pulling out the nurse call button.

"It's hard to do that after everything, Mom."

"I know."

The door opened, and we turned our heads. A cold feeling washes over me at the sight of the person at the door, and he most certainly was not a nurse.

My fist clutched the sheets as I tried to suppress this feeling inside of me. I was so furious at him. I stare at him with a look of pure disappointment.

"Ace," My mother's voice wavers, the sound of uncertainty. "I don't think--"

"I had to see her." He cuts my mother off, walking further into the room.

I don't dare look away from him. He was partly to blame for me ending up here. He's conspired with my father and betrayed my trust. He might have had something to do with my niece and Tiana's abduction, for all I know.

He must have found my glares too intense because he turned to look at my mother instead. My mother turns to face me, but I simply could not look away from the man who broke my heart.

"No."

Ace comes back to me with a pleading expression in his eyes. I refuse to yield.

"Angel--"

"Don't!" I snap, my heart racing. "Don't you dare call me that? Not after what you did."

The nurse chose the perfect time to enter the room. She must have taken in the tension because she spoke up. "Miss Mason, I'm glad to see that you are finally awake."

I don't say anything, blinded by rage. Just the sight of this man is draining my energy. Mom attempted to ease the tension. "She's doing alright. Is it okay if we can see the doctor?"

"Of course." The nurse smiled, and she looked up at the monitors. "I just need to get her vitals."

When she was done, I knew my levels were not up to par. My blood pressure was high, but it was the fault of one person. She leaves with the promise of coming back.

"I want you to leave," I finally say after the exaggerated silence. "I want you to leave and never, ever talk to me again."

"I know you're upset with me, Camille, but I can explain." He moves closer to the bed.

"I don't want your explanation." That was a lie, but I couldn't face him. I was angry at him. I was so close to tears that he didn't deserve to see them. I wanted him to leave before he saw the crack in my walls.

"Cam--"

"Just leave, Ace," I demand. "Leave before I do something crazy."

The threat was unnecessary, but I wanted him out of my sight. I didn't want to see him or have him in the same space as me. I wanted him gone.

"Ace," My mother says this time. "I think it's best that you leave."

They share a silent message before his eyes come back to me. His jaw was tight, and the look in his eyes told me he wanted so badly to stay, but he was going to listen. But I could also see that he was far from giving up on me.

"I'll leave." he sighs, turning towards the door. With one last look, he gives me, a look full of so much emotion it nearly makes me crack, he's gone.

"Cami?"

As I struggle to control the powerful emotions that are starting to surface, a shaky breath escapes my lips. I try to hold back the cry that I must so desperately let out, but I utterly fail.

"Oh, Cami." My mother pulled me into her arms as she sat down next to me, taking care not to hit any of the cords, and I sobbed.

Why would he do this to me?

------

Thoughts?

She's My Queen is back after all this time. It's been almost two years with out a constant update from this book. That is going to change. I plan to update this story EVERY Thursday until I can find a consistent updating schedule.

I also do not know how long this book is going to be just yet.

Finally, I want to thank you all for your patience. I apologies for the long wait. I just been so busy but the time I go and remake this book will be a breath of fresh air because my writing has evolved and I had a few plots in mind for this beautiful couple.