Chapter 16

We've seen each other nearly every single day for almost two weeks. Sometimes for hours, sometimes only for thirty minutes, and sometimes somewhere in between.

I bought tickets to the show the day after we made up and booked a very nice hotel room. Now it's Saturday and I'm finishing up packing a suitcase. There isn't much in it; an outfit for tomorrow, dress pants and a white t-shirt, socks, shoes, boxer briefs, toothbrush, razor, shaving cream, hair brush, and the shit I put in my hair.

"You're sure you don't want me to go with you?"

I shake my head at Lena and smile. She's laying on the bed, wearing a pair of my pajama pants, and one of my t-shirts.

"No. It would be too late anyway, it's sold out. I was lucky I got the tickets I did."

"Well, I feel bad, you going all by yourself. I could come and stay at the hotel, wait for you?"

Little does she know.

"Honey, it's really alright. I'll be fine."

She truly does feel bad and it makes me feel slightly guilty.

"You'll be back Monday?"

"Yes, Monday night at the latest."

I zip my suitcase up and go to the floor mirror. I'm pretty casual today, much more casual than usual, but I think she'll still like the way I look. I've got one of my very old Roger Waters t-shirts on, it's from 1984, white, sleeveless, and has The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking album cover on it. It's been packed away, I hardly ever wear it because it's so old, and I used to wear the fuck out of it. I also dug out a pair of my old Doc Martens, I didn't know if I still had them, but to my surprise they were buried among my things in the basement. I had two pairs, but only found the ones I wore when I was in my teens, took them to a little shop in Manhattan, and got them cleaned up real good. They're as close to new as I think they could get. The maroon color shines, they reach above my ankles where my jeans are rolled up, and I find myself smiling.

I look like the same punk I did when I was a teenager. All I'm missing is an earring and long hair.

"You don't even look like the same guy," Lena says and smiles.

I continue to stare at myself and chuckle.

"You don't think so?"

"Yes, it's strange."

"Hm. I like it. And I'd better get going."

It's almost noon. I told her I want to go and get settled in, which isn't really a lie. The concert starts at eight, but we've agreed to meet in a parking garage near the venue early. We made that bet that I'd take her out to dinner if I lost, but I want to take her out to dinner anyway. We're going to be hours away from home, so I'm trusting or hoping that no one sees us. And even if they do I can explain it away. Maxwell knows she's going to the concert, Lena knows I'm going, I can say we bumped into each other coincidentally, and we decided to get dinner together. I've also requested she pack that black dress she wore the day we had sex here, but didn't tell her why.

I tell Trish goodbye, Lena walks me to the car, kisses me, and as soon as I pull out of the driveway I light a cigarette. I'm going to be gone for two days and she didn't try to have sex with me. What a big surprise. It almost makes me want to laugh. I'm glad she didn't, I'd have told her no, but even still. She doesn't see how big of a problem that is.

No matter, because I'm spending the weekend with someone who actually wants me. And she's just messaged me.

K: Have you left yet?