Chapter 27

I brush my teeth slowly while Lena gets out of the shower behind me. My eyes avert from her naked body, I'm not interested in seeing it in the slightest bit, but she's covering up quickly with a towel. One around her body, one over her hair, and then she's beside of me at her sink.

I glance at the clock. It's only a little after six thirty, but traffic is sure to be ridiculous as usual, so we started getting ready early.

"Excited?"

"Yes," I mutter.

She rolls her eyes at me in the mirror.

"Doesn't seem like it."

"Just tired, that's all."

"Well, wake up," she says with a smile. "We're going to have a good night."

I doubt it. My idea of a good night now is fucking some other woman and spending the night in her bed, wrapped up in her, but she wouldn't know that.

I fix my hair with ease and suddenly remember I forgot to set up an appointment to get it cut. I'll have to do that tomorrow afternoon if there are any openings. I've already shaved, I did before I go in the shower, and leave the bathroom.

As I look over my clothes and try to decide what to wear, my phone dings, and I grab it off of my nightstand. It's her. I texted her this morning and again this afternoon, but didn't get a response, and just assumed she was busy with school.

K: Hope you have a good date tonight.

I roll my eyes. She wasn't happy when I told her about this and we didn't really have a fight over it, but it clearly upset her. It's understandable, but I reminded her she's the one who's got to pull the trigger on us being together. Part of me likes her being jealous. Maybe it's the kick in the ass she needs.

M: I can assure you it won't be good and I'll be thinking of you the entire time. And we already agreed that I'm coming by afterwards, right?

I begin to get dressed and keep my phone close by. I've decided on black dress pants, a knit, cream colored sweater, and brown shoes. It's not for Lena at all, it's because I'll be going to see her later. She likes my sweaters because she likes to wear them herself after we've made love. I'd give her a few to keep and wear when I'm not there, but random men's sweaters showing up in her apartment would surely arouse suspicion.

K: I wouldn't want to spoil Lena's big night with you.

I roll my eyes again.

M: It's not some big night. I'd much rather be with you right now. I would hope that you know that. I'm keeping up appearances right now for us, until you're ready. I'll be at your place around eleven or twelve.

When I come back out of the closet Lena has dressed herself and is putting heels on. She's wearing a black, long sleeve dress with black tights, and black heels. Her hair is done up, curled, and she does look stunning. Anytime she goes somewhere she always dresses her best.

"You look nice, Michael."

I force a smile.

"Thank you. You look nice, too."

She says thank you and I continue to watch until she's finished putting her heels on, then we walk out of the room and down the stairs together. Trish and Diane are in the living room, sitting on the couch, with the coffee table pulled close to them. On top of it are their school books and notebooks and the television is on.

"Where are you two going all dressed up?"

I look at her as I pull my coat on, then take my credit card from my wallet and take it to her.