Chapter 26

I sip on my beer slowly and smile as I watch her from the doorway. Katherine is setting the table for dinner and throws glances at me while trying not to smile. Julianne has been in and out of here with her to help.

The moment I think the coast is clear I go to her and place my hand on the small of her back. It's the first moment we've had alone since she got here an hour or so ago.

"You look absolutely wonderful," I murmur.

"Hush."

She's wearing some sort of dress that looks more like an oversized sweater. It's gray and short, barely passing her mid thigh, and boots. Her hair is down and wavy, I suddenly realize how much it's grown since we met, it's below her shoulders now. I take a piece of it in my hand, lean close, and inhale.

"God, you smell good."

Like her perfume and shampoo. That intoxicating aroma.

"Cut it out," she whispers and laughs.

"I can't help it. All I can think about right now is how good your little pussy tasted last night."

She takes a deep breath and stares up at me, her cheeks begin to flush, and as she sighs I hear footsteps. I move quickly to a chair and grip the back of it. Julianne is back with our good stemware in each hand. She pushes me out of the way when she reaches me and I roll my eyes, push her back, and quickly step away so she can't push me again.

"Ass. Why don't you do something to help?"

"I am helping... by making sure you guys are setting the table right."

Katherine laughs and Julianne rolls her eyes at me.

"Such an idiot."

"Alright, alright. I'll get the silverware."

I leave the dining room and go into the kitchen, where Lena, Lena's mother, and Scout are drinking wine and preparing the food. It's Thanksgiving and we have a full house. Maxwell is in the backyard with the kids and Lena's father, tossing a football. I can see him out of the sliding door as I pick up the silverware from the countertop. It's begun to snow, just a light dusting, but it's supposed to get worse. And I think Derek and Trish are in the living room with Diane, but I'm not sure.

Diane has spent a lot of Thanksgivings with us, but usually only comes after dinner with her parents. I guess she decided to eat with us this time. I didn't really bother to ask.

I pass Julianne on my way back to the dining room and hold up the silverware with a smile, which makes her roll her eyes again. Instead of setting plates now, Katherine is laying out napkins.

"I like your sister a lot. She's funny."

I smile and begin setting down the forks, spoons, and knives.

"She thinks she's funny. But she's okay, I guess. I like her a little."

I grin when she laughs again. I just love that sound. She did plenty last night because I discovered how ticklish she is. And afterward I tasted her and filled her insides up. It was the first day I'd seen her since she started her break on Monday. Work has been busier and busier, but she's very understanding, and I've gotten plenty of naughty pictures from her to make up for it.

As I make my way around the table and reach her, I press my arm against hers. We stare at one another and I want to kiss her, there's such a charge between us, it's heavy and deep. But that's much too risky right now. Maybe sometime later this evening I could sneak one in when everyone is stuffed with food and filled with alcohol.