Chapter 25

I finger through my records slowly. They're neatly placed on the built in wall bookshelf in my office, right above my record player. I've got quite an extensive collection because I've been buying them since I was barely a teenager.

I've spent a ridiculous amount of time thinking of what I could get for her birthday and it hit me a couple days ago while we were in her apartment.

Records. Pink Floyd records. When she was out of my sight I took a picture of her record collection and studied it after I had left. She's only got three Pink Floyd records and none of them are the original prints. It was quite surprising that she had so little, but a lot of the good albums are hard to come by. People don't really part with those.

I, on the other hand, have every single album. And I'm going to give them to her.

I got most of them when they came out and they're all older than her. The ones from the late sixties belonged to my father, he gave them to me when I was a teenager, and I considered keeping those. But I've decided to give them all to her. I rarely have time to listen to them and I know she'd love it.

Her birthday is tomorrow and I've planned to take her out to dinner. Katherines shared a post on Facebook from a restaurant downtown and I called right after I saw it and made reservations. She doesn't know yet, of course. She's been adamant about not wanting to celebrate and I've went along with it, but that's not going to happen.

I carefully place each record into the gift box I bought a few days ago. Lena isn't home right now, she will be in a couple hours, and I got up early just to do this. Trish is at school. Maxwell stayed at her place last night so I couldn't. Work wouldn't have allowed me to anyway. I was there until five o'clock this morning and it's after twelve now.

When I've got them all packed away I cover them with black tissue paper, then sit down with the birthday card I also bought for her. I tap my pen against my desk and try to think of what to write. I'll keep it simple.

I love you more than words could ever say. You're the best thing that has ever happened to me. Happy birthday, kitten.

Love, Michael

Very simple, but she likes simple. Simple is easy.

I write her name on the envelope, place it on top of the tissue paper, and tape the box shut. It's a simple white one, but I bought black, glittery wrapping paper to wrap it in. My first instinct was to go with a brighter color, but she's my dark little witchy girl.

I smile at that thought as I wrap the box carefully on the floor. I'm all thumbs at this sort of stuff, Lena has always wrapped the kids' birthday and Christmas gifts, but I've tried to help out. She's just better at it so she's always taken the lead on it.

Once I've finished I stand back and stare at it, then pick it up. I slide my feet into my slippers by the front door, then go to the garage, and place the box in my trunk.

Back in my office I sit at my desk and message her.

M: I'm going to take tomorrow night off to spend with you. Nothing crazy. So clear your schedule.

I know it may be awhile before she can message back, so I decide to take a shower and lay back down. After I do get out of the shower I'm surprised to see that she's actually messaged me back.

K: I haven't really felt great. I think I'm coming down with something.

M: Like what? Can I do anything for you?