chapter 1

good morning sunshine
🎶 state of grace - taylor swift

When you think you have grown up, you are sure that you have realized monsters aren't real

When you think you have grown up, you are sure that you have realized monsters aren't real. And yeah, they always say in movies that monsters just change as you grow up. They turn in to taxes, mortgages, your boss, and the stress of living in the real world. What they never bothered to tell me, was that actual monsters were real.

-

"Izzie!"

The blonde groaned, pushing away her hair and turning to look at the alarm clock before being interrupted. "Isabelle!"

7:30.

"Isabelle Williams! Get up!" Her mother called again."Steve is already here!"

"Shit!" She was so dead when her friends got a hold of her. They don't have an ounce of patience in their bodies and Izzie hadn't even began to get dressed for school.

"Tommy just be patient." Steve persisted, knowing of Izzie's uncontrollable lack of punctuality. "It's only 7:35. Besides, you've never really had a stellar attendance record anyways."

"Steve, come on you know how long she takes just to do her hair." Carol whined, once again reaching over to honk at Izzie's house.

"Well Carol, you signed up for this when you decided to use my car to get to school, not sure what to tell you." Steve sighed, giving up on instilling patience into Carol and Tommy.

Like clockwork, the sight of a frantic Izzie busting through the front door of her house was finally seen by the three impatient teens.

"Good morning Sunshine!" Tommy sang sarcastically at the girl as she opened the car door.

"Yeah, yeah." Izzie mumbled crawling into the back seat with Carol.

Izzie had used the time in the car to alter her hair and makeup and fix the mistakes caused by her lack of time.

As the car pulled into Hawkins High School, two younger girls could be seen looking nervously back and forth at Steve's car. "Looks like you've got an admirer Harrington." Izzie laughed, pointing to Steve's fling, the lovely Nancy Wheeler and her best friend Barb. Izzie hadn't really known the two girls that well, she had only seen them around.

"Haha." Steve replied dryly, disapproving of Izzie's jab at his relationship with the girl. "Ya know, if you weren't so soulless maybe you wouldn't be a lonely hag."

Carol scoffed, "At least she gets action, what does the princess do for you?"

"Hey shut your trap Carol." Steve scowled, earning a laugh from the other teens.

-

Izzie stumbled through the day, struggling for hours in classes that she despised. The only class that she did enjoy was science. Even then, the idea of photosynthesis wasn't very thrilling.

Nobody realized that Izzie wasn't as dumb as she looked. Everyone operated under the assumption that she cheated her way to her stellar grades. Izzie Williams was a girl that looked more shallow than than a bathtub. In fact, many of the band geeks claimed that the queen of Hawkins High School had less intelligence than a can of sweet corn. However, in truth her grades would often surpass theirs.

She would be caught dead before admitting it to her friends, but she enjoyed learning about how the world worked. It felt reliable. Truthfully, Izzie enjoyed understanding why things happened. Everything has a cause and a purpose in the grand scheme.

Izzie always wanted to know everything. Whether it was how the planet operated, or simply how Heather Holloway supposedly had major daddy issues and a tramp stamp.

One thing she didn't like about her science class, however, was the homework. A frown appeared amongst her face as she looked down at instructions for a paper she would have to write that night.

That night, Izzie was on her bed trying to write her paper when the phone began to ring. "Hello?"

"Hey Izz!" A familiar voice said from the other side.

"Steve?" She questioned. She wasn't expecting a call from him. "What's up?"

"I need your advice." He admitted.

Izzie giggled. "The king Steve Harrington needs me? What is it? Wanna know know where my mom buys her Farrah Fawcett spray?"

"Really Izz? I told you that in confidence. Anyway, no. I need your help on how to like charm a girl. Like, that cheesy rom-com shit." Steve said, slightly embarrassed.

"I'm sorry. Did you just say charm?" Izzie snorted

"I mean I've never had girl trouble Izz. I hate to sound cliche but Nancy is different than other girls." He sighed. "Ew, I sound like a cheep valentines movie. See Izz, that's why I need your help!"

"I don't know. Just be nice to her or something. Don't ask her to have sex with you like you usually do. She's not that kinda girl. She's long skirts and hand holding. Very classy."

"Tell me what I don't know, thanks for nothing Izzie." Steve grumbled hanging up the phone is frustration.

Izzie shook her head at Steve's dullness. But could she blame the boy? The closest thing he ever had to a classic relationship was his elementary school girlfriend. Everyone else had been strictly hookups. Izzie knew the feeling. When it came to real relationships, they both had a terrible track record.