chapter 17

stay stay stay
🎶 you are in love - taylor swift

"You're positive that was your pet monster?" Blair asked as they walked back down the railroad

"Yes. That was Dart. I recognize the yellow pattern on his butt." Dustin assured.

"He was tiny two days ago." Max remarked.

"He's molted three times already." Dustin replied.

"He malted?" Steve asked in confusion.

"Molted." Victorie corrected. "Shed his skin to make room for more growth."

"Of course you would know that." Blair quipped.

"Of course you wouldn't." Victorie shot back, making Izzie snort.

"Well when's he gonna molt again?" Max asked, ignoring the two sisters.

"It's gotta be soon." Dustin responded. "When he does he'll be fully grown or close to it."

"That's just great." Izzie scoffed, watching her feet as she walked down the tracks. She didn't want to step in any left over bait.

"Yeah well he's gonna eat a lot more than just cats." Steve pointed out.

"Wait, cats?" Lucas questioned with shock. "Dart ate a cat?"

"No." Dustin said. "What? No." Izzie furrowed her brows, Dart definitely ate his cat.

Steve shook his head. "What are you talking about? He ate Mews."

"Mews? Who's Mews?" Max asked.

"It's Dustin's cat." Izzie answered.

"Izzie!" Dustin scolded as Izzie raised her hands in surrender. She didn't know it was a secret. Why would it be?

"I knew it!" Lucas yelled. "You kept it!"

"No, no. No, I just-" Dustin rambled. "Fine, he missed me. He wanted to come home."

"Bullshit!" Lucas yelled.

"I didn't know he was a demogorgan!" He defended.

"What's a demogorgan?" Blair asked.

"The thing that almost killed me last year." Izzie smiled.

"Great." Blair seethed.

"Guys." Max said, trying to make the two boys stop fighting. "Who cares? We have to go."

"I care!" Lucas yelled. "You put the party in jeopardy! You broke the rule of law!"

"So did you!" Dustin screamed. "You told a stranger the truth!" He continued, pointing his flashlight in Max's face.

"A stranger?" Max scoffed.

"You told Victorie!" Lucas yelled.

"Then we both broke the rule of law! Ok? So we're even." Dustin shot back.